Chunky Monkey Solution Bugs and Confuses Me [SPOILER]

Tell us what’s happening:

I’m confused by the solution below. I’ve been going at this with the for loop and reduce() - unsuccessfully - and all other types of approaches, but this while loop seems insufficient as proof for this even though it passes the test. I thought that the function should have a mechanism that identifies elements of the array and then associates them to the particular value of size and disseminates them accordingly.

The while loop doesn’t seem to do that at all. I mean, I’m sure it does, but I’m just overthinking the proof. I tried going through it at the bottom and it seems like it shouldn’t return the statement. The first test returns false and when I tried to make 0 >= 0 an insane result was returned so I stuck with what you have below.

I had a similar experience with splice(). I was using slice() to moderate success with some of attempts, passing a few tests. I was somewhat surprised that splice() worked. This solution frustrates me. I know I can find a solution with for loop if I keep trying, but I’d just like to know why while loop works because it seems like it shouldn’t.
Could someone walk me through the logic or correct the logic I’m attempting to perform at the bottom of the page?

Thank you.

Your code so far

[spoiler]function chunkArrayInGroups(arr, size) {
//create empty array
var chunkArr = [];
//loop through arr collecting all elements larger than 0
while(arr.length > 0){
  //as long as elements are larger than 0 push the extracted section of the array that is from index 0 to size limit of that particular subarray
  chunkArr.push(arr.splice(0, size))
}
console.log(chunkArr);
return chunkArr;

}[/spoiler]

chunkArrayInGroups([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5], 3);

My attempt to follow the logic of the while loop.
0>0 false //no execution
1>0 true //chunkArr[1, 2, 3]
2>0 true //chunkArr[2, 3, 4]
3>0 true //chunkArr[3, 4, 5]
4>0 true //chunkArr[4, 5]
5>0 true //chunkArr[5]

So, I’m not clear at all why this works or why this is useful. It seems like it almost solves the problem by accident. Is it a legitimate solution or just an idiosyncrasy of the FCC console?

Thanks, Nick

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.102 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-algorithm-scripting/chunky-monkey/

arr.splice(...) is removing those elements from arr IN PLACE. So arr is being shortened, every time.

When chunkArr.push(arr.splice(...)) is hit, it removes those values from arr.splice, and that is the return value: the returned elements. Thus, chunkArr.push(...), is simply taking that returned value, those removed elements, and pushing that new Array as its last element.

Now, so long as arr.length is not zero, there are still elements in that arr, so we keep breaking of a piece with arr,splice(), and inserting that piece at the end of chunkArr with push(). If the last member doesn’t have size many members, it will simply take them all, and create a final member in chunkArr.

Does that help at all? I find that MDN is a useful tool, but you really need to study what the various functions actually return. That is often more important than what they actually do…

1 Like

Yes, it does. I think I understand the while loop’s functionality much better.
It works as follows, I think:

1. while the elements of arr are greater than 0, remove elements at the end of each iteration and push them into chunkArr.
    2.The parameter of size indicates that this process of splicing will terminate when whatever quantity size is defined by is fulfilled (in this case, 2).
    3.The while loop will also terminate when all elements have been emptied from the arr array and this will be coterminous with the parameter size being satisfied.

Thanks again for working through this with me.

Well, size is used primarily to determine the number of elements to remove at each iteration, but yeah, that’s the logic flow.