CodeAlly error for Relational Database course

I have read the troubleshooting post and tried its suggestions. I am unable to start a server to complete the Numbers guessing game project.

I keep getting stuck on the “Starting virtual server” animation. Everything in the troubleshooting section has been tried by me.

I even went to codeally.io/app url but i cannot start any virtual server from there. All I get is some childish message

/* Ops! Something went wrong */
/* It's probably a cache issue */
/* Try refreshing */
if (!Error)  {
  throw("(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻")
}
You will be redirected to home page in 10

honestly the entire codeally webapp seems to be hastily written and untested. I cannot create a virtual environment anymore because of some server side error and no amount of deleting, refreshing, hard refresh and opening another tab can help to fix the error.

2 Likes

I am having the same problem. Did you find the solution?

honestly the entire codeally webapp seems to be hastily written and untested. I cannot create a virtual environment anymore because of some server side error and no amount of deleting, refreshing, hard refresh and opening another tab can help to fix the error.

I totaly agree with you.

1 Like

unfortunately it’s a server side issue so nothing can be done from the client. It just won’t create virtual environment anymore so i believe all the students are stuck until the developer fixes the bug

bump. anyone found a fix? codeally virtual environment completely unable to initialize.

1 Like

In the last couple of days I’ve booted up the Number Guessing Game course several times without any issue at all. I’ve also deleted the project container at codeally.io and restarted several times, as I’ve been testing other people’s code.

The courses are all loading up for me, although they do hang for a while sometimes on the ‘Starting Virtual Server’ step. I’ve never had to wait more than about 5 minutes on that screen though (except when there’s been an outage).

Occasionally, I get impatient and boot up a different course in a separate tab as that can help to get the first one unstuck.

I don’t know why you are experiencing connection issues however. Perhaps it’s something geographical or VPN related?

1 Like

no. I can log in to codeally by directly typing the url into the address bar. But i can’t log in via freeCodeCamp. It takes me to sign in via GitHub (even though i am already signed in, I have the cookies set).
Once I go through the click event, it throws an error and redirects to FCC.
And since I cannot get through FCC to codeally, there is no VM and no coderoad tests against which I can work and get my cert.
It was all working fine until the last VM i.e. Numbers guessing game. Now no amount of resetting and deleting cookies, history etc is starting the VM.

I would try clearing all the CodeAlly storage (logging you out) and then going to fCC and login through there @sazk07. Maybe you already tried that.

yes. I have tried every possible way. I have logged out of codeally, not just codeally i removed all cookies from my browser so I was logged out of everything.
Then I logged in to freeCodeCamp and then tried starting up a codeAlly VM for the Numbers guessing game and it still didn’t start the VM. Instead threw an error and redirected me to the FCC page again.
And, on a side note, did you know, the codeAlly app is so full of bugs, if you log out of codeAlly.io, it “logs you out”, but if you directly access https://app.codeally.io in the address bar, you are still logged in. You can repeatedly try to log out of app.codeally.io but it doesn’t log out.
However as I said, even with a complete cookie clear out, the VM is not starting. CodeAlly just does not work.

Can you provide any further info about the errors you’re getting? Any error messages or screenshots/gifs of what exactly is happening?

I doubt this will be of any help because the bug is in the codeally app but here are the steps:

1. User clicks on Relational Database Certification

2. User clicks on Numbers Guessing Game

3. The following 3rd party cookies are added to Always Allowed

4. User clicks on button “Start the Project”

5. User clicks on the button “Login to start coding”

6. User is taken to the separate tab where there is a button “Github Login”

7. An amateurish error page opens

8. The user is redirected to Step 4

9. Go to step 4. Repeat

10. Clearing cookies, history, log out then log in does not help. Repeated pattern is observed.

Im having another issue where the course would get stuck on a step. Despite having entered the correct answer to my script and having verified the results by running the command in postgre and getting the correct output it doesn’t pass my test and keeps showing me the error " your script should print the results of the suggested query correctly".

anybody else having this issue?

The entire CodeAlly setup is really really buggy. Needs a lot of work.