Counting Cards + My code works but I cannot pass the challenge

Tell us what’s happening:
Hi, I did this problem today. The code works well but I cannot pass the challenge. Or should I do it other way :frowning:
thank you very much!

Your code so far

var count = 0;

function cc(card) {
  // Only change code below this line
    switch(card){
        case 2:
        case 3:
        case 4:
        case 5:
        case 6:
            count += 1;
            break;
        case 7:
        case 8:
        case 9:
            count +=0;
            break;
        case 10:
        case 'J':
        case 'Q':
        case 'K':
        case 'A':
            count -=1;
            break;
    }
    if (count < 0){
        return console.log(count + ' Hold')
    }else{
        return console.log(count + ' Bet')
    }
  // Only change code above this line
}

// Add/remove calls to test your function.
// Note: Only the last will display
cc(2); cc(3); cc(4); cc(5); cc(6);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:69.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/counting-cards/

you can’t return a console.log because the returned value from console.log is undefined

is it enough for you to figure out what to change’

1 Like

You are right. I just dont understand why Vs Code still return a result :smiley:. The fixed code works perfectly for me now :slight_smile:

maybe you see what’s printed to the console?

I ran the code with VsCode & Node.js. The results is still the same. I tried the code also in freeCodeCamp, it still worked T__T

but that is not the returned value from the function, that is what the console.log command prints to the console. - to get the retuned value from the function you need to wrap the function call in a console.log!

console.log(cc(6));
1 Like

ahh i got what you mean. I misunderstood the problem. I modified my code by removing ‘return’ (return None)so that when I call the function, it print immediately the result. I read the Problem again and saw " The function will then return a string" :blush: Yeahh you are right. Thank you very much for your help