FreeCodeCamp recently created an official discord server (here is the announcement), and a few members would like to have a new version of the gitter bot (camperbot) that was featured on the gitter chat.
This topic should be used to discuss the features and development of a new Discord camperbot, that will be the new version of the gitter bot (linked above).
If you have a feature idea for the bot that isn’t already mentioned please post your suggestion
gitter bot’s features
Give “brownie points” for thanking users (primary feature from gitter-bot version)- this feature will not be in the new one due to it being a source of spam and “gaming” the system.
- “magic-8 ball” - randomly returns a “magic-8 ball” string.
- “find command” - searched the wiki for a given string
- “wiki command” - returned a link to the wiki itself
- “rooms command” - returned the list of rooms available from FCC (?)
- this doesn’t make sense in discord
- status - get the status of the bot
- version - get the version of the bot
suggested new features
- Leveling mechanic, connected to some “currency” to buy new levels (seen in the mee6 bot)
- Automation of some moderation/censorship (seen in mee6 bot)
- Automated welcome message(s) for new users
- Connect this to the code of conduct
- Integration with existing FCC curriculum
- could provide help/resources for different challenges within the curriculum
- Integration with FCC news
- posts new articles from FCC’s news page to read, similar to an RSS feed bot.
- Integration with FCC’s coderadio
- could stream music to Discord, similar to other “music bots”.
- would require updates to the discord to allow voicechat just for the bot.
- Integration with “search” (algolia powered) to search news via full-text search.
- Code formatting of plain-text messages (more details here)
- Non-tracked “brownie point”, the same as before but untracked for each user. Just provide some recognition for people who are thanked.
- “pinned” message emoji - when a user reacts to a message, they are DMed that same message + link to the original. This will allow users to save previous messages in a chat between the bot and the user.