CSS back-ground showing at the bottom of the page

Tell us what’s happening:
I have set a background in ther html,body property within my CSS code. However when I save the CSS and html code and try to open it in my browser or microsoft edge, the background is below the bottom. I.e I need to scroll down to see it. This is very strange as you adjust the zoom within the page, the positioning of the background changes, as to always remain below the bottom.

Your code so far
CSS:

html,body {

font-family: ‘Roboto’, sans-serif;

background:blanchedalmond;

}

#navbar {

position: fixed;

width: 300px;

height: 100%;

border-color: #00131c;

border-right: 4px solid #0a4b78;

}

nav > header {

font-size: 25px;

font-weight: bold;

text-align: center;

padding: 5px;

}

nav > ul > li {

list-style-type: none;

text-align: center;

padding:5px;

border-top: 3px solid #0a4b78;

}

nav > ul > li > a {

color:black;

}

#main-doc{

position: absolute;

margin-left: 310px;

padding: 20px;

margin-bottom: 110px; 

}

.details {

padding: 10px;

}

.main-section > header {

font-size: 25px;

}

.sub-heading{

padding: 10px;

}

section > ul > li {

margin-left: 15px;

}

HTML:

<header> Python </header>

<ul class="list-unstyled">

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Introduction"> Introduction </a> </li>

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Interpreter"> Interpreter </a></li>

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Variables">Variables</a> </li>

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Indentation"> Indentation </a></li>

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Statement_and_control_flow">Statement and control flow</a></li>

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Expressions">Expressions</a></li>

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Data_types">Data types</a></li>

<li><a class="nav-link" href="#Programming_examples"> Programming examples </a></li>

</ul>
<header>Introduction</header>

<p class="details">Python is an interpreted high-level general-purpose programming language. Python's design philosophy emphasizes code readability with its notable use of significant indentation. Its language constructs as well as its object-oriented approach aim to help programmers write clear, logical code for small and large-scale projects.

Python is dynamically-typed and garbage-collected. It supports multiple programming paradigms, including structured (particularly, procedural), object-oriented and functional programming. Python is often described as a "batteries included" language due to its comprehensive standard library.

</p>

<p class="details">Python is created the following philosophy</p>

<ul>

<li>Beautiful is better than ugly.</li>

<li>Explicit is better than implicit.</li>

<li>Simple is better than complex.</li>

<li>Complex is better than complicated.</li>

<li>Readability counts.</li>

</ul>
Interpreter

To run python programs, you will need a python interpreter installed and running. It can be downloaded from here.

Once installed open the python shell and run the following code to test it is working:

</p>

<pre>

<code>print("Hello World!")</code>

</pre>

<p class="details">

If the set up was completed succesfully this will return Hello World! within the shell.

</p>
<header>Variables</header>

<p class="details"> 

Unlike in other programming languages which require variables to be declared. In python, there is no such requirement. Variables are created the moment they are assigned a value. 

</p>

<p class="details">To declare an integar:</p>

<pre>

<code>x=10</code>

<code>print(x)</code>

</pre>
<header>Indentation</header>

<p class="details">Python uses whitespace indentation, rather than curly brackets or keywords, to delimit blocks. An increase in indentation comes after certain statements; a decrease in indentation signifies the end of the current block. Thus, the program's visual structure accurately represents the program's semantic structure. This feature is sometimes termed the off-side rule, which some other languages share,

but in most languages indentation doesn't have any semantic meaning. The recommended indent size is four spaces</p>
<header>Statement and control flow</header>

<p class="details">Pythons statements include (among others):</p>

<ul>

<li>The assignment statement,using a single equals sign =</li>

<li>The if statement, which conditionally executes a block of code, along with else and elif(a contraction of else-if)</li>

<li>The for statement, which iterates over an iterable object, capturing each element to a local variable for use by the attached block.</li>

<li>The while statement, which executes a block of code as long as its condition is true.</li>

<li>The try statement, which allows exceptions raised in its attached code block to be caught and handled by except clauses; it also ensures that clean-up code in a finally block will always be run regardless of how the block exits.</li>

<li>The raise statement, used to raise a specified exception or re-raise a caught exception.</li>

<li>The class statement, which executes a block of code and attaches its local namespace to a class, for use in object-oriented programming.</li>

<li>The def statement, which defines a function or method.</li>

<li>The with statement, from Python 2.5 released in September 2006,  which encloses a code block within a context manager (for example, acquiring a lock before the block of code is run and releasing the lock afterwards, or opening a file and then closing it), allowing resource-acquisition-is-initialization (RAII)-like behavior and re-places a common try/finally idiom. </li>

<li>The break statement,exits from a loop.</li>

<li>the continue statement,skips this iteration and continues with the next item.</li>

<li>The del statement, removes a variable, which means the reference from the name to the value is deleted and trying to use that variable will cause an error. A deleted variable can be reassigned.</li>

<li>The pass statement, which serves as a NOP. it is syntactically needed to create an empty code block.</li>

<li>The assert statement, used during debugging to check for conditions that should apply.</li>

</ul>

<p class="details">

The assignment statement (=) operates by binding a name as a reference to a separate, dynam-ically-allocated object. Variables may be subsequently rebound at any time to any object. In Py-thon, a variable name is a generic reference holder and doesn't have a fixed data type associated with it. However at a given time, a variable will refer to some object, which will have a type.

This is referred to as dynamic typing and is contrasted with statically-typed programming languages, where each variable may only contain values of a certain type.

</p>
Expressions

Some Python expressions are similar to those found in languages such as C and Java, while some are not:

<li>Addition, subtraction, and multiplication are the same, but the behavior of division differs. There are two types of divisions in Python. They are floor division (or inte-ger division) // and floating-point/division. Python also uses the ** operator for exponentiation.</li>

<li>From Python 3.5, the new @ infix operator was introduced. It is intended to be used by libraries such as NumPy for matrix multiplication.</li>

<li>From Python 3.8, the syntax :=, called the 'walrus operator' was introduced. It as-signs values to variables as part of a larger expression.</li>

<li>In Python, == compares by value, versus Java, which compares numerics by val-ue and objects by reference. (Value comparisons in Java on objects can be per-formed with the equals() method.) Python's is operator may be used to compare object identities (comparison by reference). In Python, comparisons may be chained, for example a <= b <= c.</li>

<li>Python uses the words and, or, not for its boolean operators rather than the sym-bolic &&, ||, ! used in Java and C.</li>

<li>Python has a type of expression termed a list comprehension as well as a more general expression termed a generator expression. </li>

<li>Anonymous functions are implemented using lambda expressions; however, these are limited in that the body can only be one expression.</li>

<li>Conditional expressions in Python are written as x if c else y (different in order of operands from the c ? x : y operator common to many other languages).</li>
Data types
Integar

In Python 3, there is effectively no limit to how long an integer value can be. Of course, it is constrained by the amount of memory your system has, as are all things, but beyond that an integer can be as long as you need it to be.

Floating-Point Numbers

The float type in Python designates a floating-point number. float values are specified with a decimal point. Optionally, the character e or E followed by a positive or negative integer may be appended to specify scientific notation:

type(4.2)

<class 'float'> 

Complex Number

Complex numbers are specifed as <real part> + <Imaginary part>. for example:

2+3j

(2+3j)

>>>type(2+3j)

<class 'complex'>

Strings

Strings are sequences of character data. The string type in Python is called str.

String literals may be delimited using either single or double quotes. All the characters between the opening delimiter and matching closing delimiter are part of the string:

>>>print("I am a string.")

I am a string.

>>>type("I am string.")

<class 'str'>

Boolean

Python 3 provides a Boolean data type. Objects of Boolean type may have one of two values, true or false:

>>>type(true)

<class 'bool'>

>>>type(false)

<class 'bool'>

<header> Programming examples</header>

<p class ="details"> Hello world program:</p>

<pre>

<code> print('hello,world!') </code>

</pre>

<p class="details"> Program to calculate the factorial of a positive integar </p>

<pre>

<code>

n = int(input('Type a number, and its factorial will be printed: '))

if n < 0:

raise ValueError('You must enter a non negative integer')

factorial = 1

for i in range(2, n + 1):

factorial *= i

print(factorial)

</code>

</pre>

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/89.0.4389.91 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Technical Documentation Page

Link to the challenge:

Are you referring to the almond background? I do not see anything else.

Although it was hard to copy all of your HTML due to the formatting of the post, so I am not sure I got all of your code.

Since it is very long, if you could post and save it to a codepen (or something similar) and provide the link, I’d be willing to take a look and help if I can.

Code Pen

How are you saving the files? As one file with CSS and HTML? or as “file.css”, “file.html”?

If CSS and HTML together, I think you need to wrap the CSS in <style></style> tags (I do not see these in your code).

If you saved as 2 separate files, you need to import the CSS file into the HTML file by putting

<link href="./file.css" rel="stylesheet" /> where “file” is the name of your CSS file, and put those in the same directory.

Also, I did not see the following tags in your HTML:

<html>
<head>
<!-- imports for stylesheets and scripts, DOCTYPE, and stuff like that goes in this section... -->
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
......all your other content....
</body>
</html>

So while it would or may work, worked for me, it is technically not valid html without those tags.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I’m saving them as a .html and .css file.
The exact same code is in my codepen. https://codepen.io/Dvaland/pen/xxgBqoK without any problems, however when I have the files individually

saved and loaded in my local browser, my issue appears in the attached screen grab.

OK, so what have you named the “file.css” when you saved it, and is it in the same directory as the file.html?

When I loaded it, I had the problem where background was not showing either. But then I looked at the your page source and the link to the CSS file is set to:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="documentation page.css">

So I named my local copy of the CSS to “documentation page.css” and saved it with the HTML file.

Now it is working for me and the page looks great!

Actually, I just tested it in Chrome as well and now I have the problem but only in Chrome, not Firefox…perhaps FF is more forgiving of some error.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I’ve saved it as the name mentioned in the HTML document. please see the screen grab below:

I don’t think I understand, how can it pick up the styling if the naming is incorrect?
Also, do you think it might be something to do with the chromium engine? since both Vivaldi (my main browser) and edge are having this problem.

Sorry, at first I had forgot to name the css file accordingly… mine wasn’t picking up any style in FF at first, so I jumped to wrong conclusion, and I hadn’t seen the screen grab until after that happened. Sorry.

Possibly… it happens in Chrome and Edge for me as well, not in FF…weird.

I am looking in the Chrome Webdev debug console to investigate.

I do not see anything immediately obvious related to your CSS and HTML code.

I ran your code through an HTML validator…

Nu HTML Checker

There are some warnings and errors, but nothing I see that would cause the issue as far as I can tell…

CSS is valid with no errors…

Nu Html Checker

Only error I see in Chrome is this:

I do not see anything like that in FF WebDev tool error console.

Perhaps a bug in the version of Chrome? Or some Chrome specific rendering issue that needs some workaround. Can’t think of anything though. Maybe someone more experienced will see this and help out.

Hi,

I think i figured out the cause of it. If you comment out bootstrap link within the html file, the issue disappears. I just need to figure why.

1 Like

Hmm weird… yes I see…

I wonder if any other campers have run into this issue.

That bootstrap appears to be a v5 beta… seems to have a problem here on this line:

<link href="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.0.0-beta3/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet" integrity="sha384-eOJMYsd53ii+scO/bJGFsiCZc+5NDVN2yr8+0RDqr0Ql0h+rP48ckxlpbzKgwra6" crossorigin="anonymous"></link>

And this one v5.01 seems to break Chrome/Edge too:

<link href="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.0.1/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet" integrity="sha384-+0n0xVW2eSR5OomGNYDnhzAbDsOXxcvSN1TPprVMTNDbiYZCxYbOOl7+AMvyTG2x" crossorigin="anonymous"></link>

But this one seems to work fine for me in Chrome/Edge…

<link href="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@4.6.0/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css">

Try it out. Probably a bug or something in v5 with Chrome/Edge.

Actually… if I remove the integrity parts… from v5.0.0-beta3 & v5.0.1…

this part…

integrity="sha384-eOJMYsd53ii+scO/bJGFsiCZc+5NDVN2yr8+0RDqr0Ql0h+rP48ckxlpbzKgwra6" crossorigin="anonymous"

the problem goes away too.

I think those attributes are used for CORS:

HTML attribute: crossorigin

Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.