Design feedback: Carpenter website

Greetings Everyone!

I’ve been redesigning a friend’s website and although I’m not done, I would like some feedback on my first draft. Any thoughts, critiques, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks! :slight_smile:

(This is in figma hence the links below also only the leftmost frame is actual design everything else is just fluff during the process)

1 Like

Hi @Cy499_Studios

First thing I would like to say: Good job! :ok_hand: :clap:

I did not finish my curriculum but I will give you my opinion anyway:

• Background images shouldn’t distract us from the principal message, maybe playing a bit with opacity property will help.
  • Header: it doesnt feel right, maybe using the same color as the footer. I dont like much blue color and pictures colors contrast, also. Not sure.
  • Align horizontal and vertical consitently.
  • Titles and subtitles must have same space between them, and extra space with others sections. Grouping visually related content.
  • I think if you group related content in your footer it will feel better, and playing with font-size, maybe… bigger title, smaller contact content, …
  • Maybe footer and header in grey… I didnt check, just thinking out loud.

I am not good enough with my english writing skills yet so I will recommend you a desing book (short and right to the point book) with only the basics we need for this. It is easy to read I found it really insightful: Hello Web Design, by Tracy Osborn. CRC 2021.
In 4 words: Contrast, Repetition (same design patterns), Alignment and Proximity (grouping related content) are the basic pillars for a good design.
I hope it helps.
Maybe it sounds I did not like it at all, but I really do :sweat_smile: :blush: You did a great job so far, just maybe adjusting some things.
Great job!! I need to learn some Figma as well. :laughing:

1 Like

@carlosvisator

Yeah I was mostly focusing on layout than the typography(which is the next step of refinement!)

Also by header do you mean the giant Hero section? You might be right about the color palate. Maybe it’s time for a change in color. I’ll see what i can do.

Thanks for the feedback!
Best,
Ben

Great job!
I would hire that carpenter.
Honestly, no negatives I can find staring at it for a minute

@aless-x-code
Thanks! It could use refinement but compared to the current website(which I built earlier in my dev journey) its a massive upgrade.