Do I need to do the entire curriculum to get a job? Or is it ok to specialize at some point? (and other questions)

Hello all! First off let me say thanks to all who are giving of their time and energy to answers questions and be helpful, I really do appreciate it.

I have posted here in the past and when I first started my coding journey in 2016 I really knew very little and I was just randomly doing modules because I found it interesting. Now I think I know more (although I still don’t know a lot!) and I think I am able to ask more directed questions.

A little context is that I have wanted to learn coding since a young age (10, I am 39 now) but life circumstances prevented me from doing so (mental health issues, family dysfunction) I did manage to get my feet wet with FCC, and I have been doing TOP and other courses in the meantime, so I think I have a better understanding of what things are like now.

I have done about half the curriculum right now, but I would still consider myself on the beginner side as I haven’t managed to do many of the projects, where is where the meat of the matter lies. I’ve also besides FCC done a course in Unity and a course in Python/Data Science, and some other web learning content (SoloLearn, CodeAcademy, The Odin Project)

I can confidently say at this point that Data Science doesn’t interest me, but Frontend does (HTML, CSS, Bootstrap etc) So my questions are now more targeted.

1. Do I need to do all the courses to become industry ready? From what I have learned from asking around, the answer is no as the tech industry has many specializations, Full Stack, Product Manager, Project Manager, Data Scientist etc. Of course the more skills you have the better, but I don’t have unlimited time and energy.

As far as I understand, a Full Stack Developer needs to know JavaScript and then probably Ruby, and then some frameworks like React/Redux, database knowledge like MongoDB. Am I missing anything out?

1. I am the most interested in creating games and learning things relating to games. My friends who are designers tell me Unity (which I believe is offered here) is a good platform to use, I’ve done some courses in it and I like it. Should I pursue that instead?

2. This is kind of a longshot, but relocation has been a dream of mine for some time, and I see some success stories of people here who have had companies pay for their relocation if they are sufficiently skilled. Can FCC bring me there? I’m willing to study hard for good results.

That;s about it for now. The Internet is so full of knowledge and also contradictory opinions it’s sometimes hard to sift the wheat from the chaff, but the people here on FCC have been very supportive and helpful always, so I hope I can rely on your kind advice and maybe one day give back to the community.

1 Like

No replies? I am sad :frowning:

Industry ready to do what type of job? Frontend? Then no you don’t need to learn Python. Full stack? You still may not need to learn Python as there are many backend languages, but Python is one of them. If you want to learn Python and frameworks for web development there are better places to learn than fcc, but fcc can help some.

I don’t know anything about Unity and what language(s) you need to know for it. If it is HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, node, MongoDB, then fcc will be very helpful. Otherwise you may want to look to other sources for game development. Should you pursue learning Unity? Only you can answer that question.

Whether a company will pay for relocation is a decision the company makes that is totally unrelated to what you learn on fcc. Can fcc help you learn the skills to be hirable? Yes. But that depends on the career path you want to take.

I found fcc to be a great learning resource but also learned from other sources as well. The Javascript lessons on fcc, in my opinion, are the best I have found (for learning any language). After learning Javascript, it became much easier/faster to learn other languages. So, there might some benefit to learning Javascript on fcc beyond just learning Javascript. Depends what you ultimately want to do I guess.

Good luck!

1. You should know that FCC’s curriculum is just an educational guide & roadmap, and not an official source of all of the information that you should know to be job-ready. While you would probably benefit from doing the entire curriculum regardless, you shouldn’t consider it “necessary” to do everything. Use FCC as a tool, not an end in itself.

There are 3 general paths for developers: front-end, back-end, or full-stack. Do what interests you most.

You don’t need to know Ruby. It’s just one of many languages for back-end development, and you can still use JavaScript for back-end too (via Node.js and related frameworks). MongoDB is one of many databases as well.

1. Game development with Unity can be a lucrative path as well. For Unity, you’ll need to learn C#. No one can answer if you should do it instead, you should decide yourself.

2. Company-paid relocation varies for every company. Some do it, some won’t. The majority of the companies that provide it tend to be larger companies though - think on the scale of 100+ employees at least. Most startups and small companies won’t be able to afford it for you. I previously worked for a company that provided this for me and it was 300+ employees.

Finding a job where a company will pay for your relocation depends on both hard work and luck. The ones most reputable for doing this are well-known ones like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, et al…but smaller companies will do this too, for example ones like Uber, Airbnb, and others like those.

You can target a smaller set of courses to help prepare you for a junior role but if you are in this for the long run, expect to be taking courses regularly - even after you land a job. The need for continuous professional development is probably the only thing that has remained constant in the industry…

Every organization has their own tech stack which may or may not include those you mentioned but you should be familiar with a bit of JavaScript in any case. Relational DBs are still very much in use today so try to be familiar with at least one along with writing SQL queries. You may not always have the luxury to pick whatever tech to use so it’s important to be adaptable.

From what I can tell here, looks like you have some descisions to make regarding a career path but I hope things become clearer as you develop your skills. There are many paths to become a professional developer but it’s important that you truly enjoy what you are building - be it a game or web app, etc. At the end of the day, whatever you do has to be more than just a “job”.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. It seems like it’s “Every situation is different” huh? I have learned from quite a few online courses.

I’m not at the level to build my own projects. but I have done lots of courses. I do know some SQL.

LIfelong learning is applicable to all fields, not just this one!

I’m ok with Unity, and I know some C#.

I have taken courses in Python. Based on what I know now, I would like to try either fullstack or game dev. Data science does not interest me at all.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.