Do you recommend reading a book or an online course to learn javascript?

Hi

Do you recommend the “You don’t know Javascript” the 6 books or “The Complete JavaScript Course 2019: Build Real Projects!” by Jonas Schmedtmann? I am new to javascript (not new to programming languages) but I want to learn deeply javascript. I was taking a full web developer course (Andrei one) in udemy but it covers javascript so fast so I dropped the course.

What do you recommend? Do you have any other javascript book that you recommend? I heard that Javascript & JQuery by Jon Duckett was a good book but JQuery is a bit outdated and frameworks are taking over. I want to learn a framework like react too in the future.
Thanks

Hi,

I actually took the online course by Jonas Schmedtmann. I really enjoyed it. I have a previous background in coding. If you don’t, you might find it fast and a bit hard. If you are a beginner, start with a book. Online courses are mostly fast.

1 Like

I haven’t tried the course. The books You Don’t Know JS are good to read but not if you are just learning, in my opinion. Learn some JS first then read the books. There are plenty of free JS tutorials online (tutorialspoint, w3schools). And MDN has a good JavaScript reference that you will definitely want to go to once you get into JS.

1 Like

The course here is a great quick overview of js, but not truly a “deep dive”. I do recommend reading, it’s one of my favorite pastimes. I have a bookshelf of coding references, and a google drive approaching full with ebooks.

The YDKJS books are great, as is Eloquent Javascript. Javascript Novice to Ninja wasn’t bad. There are some far deeper ones, one that I’ve re-read so much that I had to buy a new copy (my old one fell apart) is Dustin Diaz and Ross Harmes’ Pro Javascript Design Patterns.

Having a background in coding, even in another language, should stand you in good stead. The patterns and algorithms function much the same, aside from linguistic idiosyncracies (let’s face it, javascript was clearly designed by blind drunk epileptic monkeys smoking something illegal).

I have done some courses online, I tend to do better with specific tutorials and book references. I know enough to know what I want to know, without spending three hours learning how to write a loop.

:joy::joy::joy:

I used to despise JS, and now its my preferred language. Go figure! Soley because its my first, and the one I know best now…so I’m sure my opinion on that will evolve.

But yeah, first book(s) I ever read were the YDKJS series…I was very new to JS and understood maybe 5% of it…I love to read, and that was hands down the most painful reading experience in my life. Having said that…Im so glad I read them, because as I came across…anything, I was already familiar with it from having read about it. This would not have been my preferred path, but Im glad it was my path, because the bit of pain I went through reading it, saved me a ton of confusion as I continued on.

Eloquent JS is also a great book…after YDKJS, that was a breeze to get through. But the other 95% of my learning came from building stuff, the projects on FCC for sure helped get me on a roll, and from there I was able to think of projects Id like to build and learn as I go to get them done.

When I pick up something new, books and courses are great for getting the idea of things, but struggling through building and reading the documentation is how I actually grasp and understand what Im learning.

1 Like

Fun fact: Javascript, first called LiveScript, was originally intended to be a dialect of Scheme (which would make it similar to DSSSL, the language used for manipulating SGML, the now-distant ancestor to HTML). Brendan Eich’s bosses made him change the syntax to look more like Java, and of course also changed the name. He whipped the whole thing up in less than two weeks.

1 Like
Hi Fercopp! While I was in college, I had a short course of JavaScript, which awaken the curiosity inside me and made want to discover more about this programming language. I was young and I couldn't afford to pay for some other courses. So I searched on YouTube for people who shared their JavaScript knowledge and learned a lot from them.

The idea I want to share with you is that the JavaScript courses shouldn’t be bought. You can learn it for free. The only courses that I ever paid for were for sales and I don’t regret given the money for them. No one would teach you such valuable information for free, you have to pay for it.
Here you can find the best course reviews which are worth every penny.

I have done “The Complete JavaScript Course 2019: Build Real Projects!” by Jonas Schmedtmann

He will tell you practical use of ES6 and ES5. How to use JavaScript effectively with HTML and CSS It’s a great course you will definitely learn new things.
How Async/Wait is used in website , basic of API , how map,reduce,filter and etc are used in website development.
As you want to learn JavaScript deeply you can then make your own projects.

I liked JavaScript the definitive Guide.

I liked the O’Reilly headfirst books too, but may be a little dated.

As for whether I recommend a book or course, that really all depends on how you learn. Start a course and start a book then continue with whichever feels right to you.

Plenty of free tutorials out there for courses (freeCodeCamp for example). For books, you can read YDKJS for free and if you have access to a library you might find stuff there.

You can visit Javascript.info by Ilya Kantor. The materials are updated daily and all of them are free. I learn a lot from this site and I love it.

Thank you so much, I am gonna check all resources!

Another great one, fairly recent, is by Dan Abramov. Just Javascript is a great way of changing how you might fundamentally think about programming in general, and javascript in particular.

https://justjavascript.com/