Doubt about MIT License

From what I’ve understood of the MIT License is that we can do anything with the code as long as the original owner’s license is present, which is this part in the license file - Copyright (c) <Year> <Name>. My doubt is if I’m allowed to add a line below, in the similar format but with my name. Also does MIT License allow me to change the name of package when I publish it?

Hello @NirajN . In my understanding,
the license allows you without restriction, to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is shared to do so.
As long as you include the original copyright and license notice in any copy of the software/source.
The problem is that there are many variations of this license in use.
So I would think that is permissible to change the name of a package. But not to add a line below with your name in the similar format. Under the MIT license, that right is granted to me, as well as is granted to others. I interpret that as follows: You could specify your contributions, as long as you don’t intrude with the license line.

In conclusion:
You cannot “re-license” MIT-licensed code, and the MIT-licensed code will remain under the MIT License, but you can redistribute it as part of another project under any license you wish. You should make it clear that any changes that you make to the MIT-licensed code are released under your new license. The MIT License text & copyright notice must still be included with any unmodified MIT-licensed code.

Sources:
https://tldrlegal.com/license/mit-license

Hope this helps.

So I can change the name but the whole text in the License file should not be touched right? If yes, how do I go about adding in another MIT License under my name.

I was doing further research, and I found one case in which is possible to do exactly what you suggested Copyright (c) <Year> <Name> and the line below :

In conclusion:
With the MIT license you can put the Copyright (c) <Year> <Name> and a line below, but you must be careful depending of the project.

If you still have doubts you can send an email to Licensee Invoice Questions: tlo-invoice@mit.edu
Hope this helps.

Hmm I see, thanks for the help. I’ll send a mail to the email you put. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything properly and give credit to the original owner of the package when I add in my own extra features and re-publish it.

Good.
Just for information, I found the mail here:
https://tlo.mit.edu/engage-tlo/contact-us
They give many contacts, but I think that mail is the most reliable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.