Escape Sequence Javascript

Tried many ways, and looked for many examples. For the returns, how should they be written? I couldn’t find examples to save my life, and when tried on my own the closest I came was 3 out of 4…

var myStr= "FirstLine\n\\SecondLine\\r\ThirdLine";

Does one of these help?:

Common escaped characters :
’ single quote
" double quote
\ backslash
\n new line
\r carriage return
\t tab
\b backspace
\f form feed

I don’t understand what is wrong with my carriage return, or my double backslash. I tried all 3 resources, and then took to Google before posting.

Maybe you swapped the order of the r and the last \?

You should start billing me, Kev! I’m still getting one error, though…

myStr should have encoded text with the proper escape sequences and no spacing.

1 Like

Close! Now you have swapped the order of \r and \\

1 Like

lol, when my brother asks for help and stuff I often say “At this point I should start billing you.”

1 Like

your code is…given below…

var myStr= “FirstLine\n\tSecondLine\n\ThirdLine”; // Change this line

1 Like

So I am kinda confused here. The code listed in the curriculum is as follows:

var myStr ="FirstLine\n\t\\SecondLine\nThirdLine"; 

However this seems to only work in the FCC environment. I do it in let’s say VS Code or Codepen.io it will not accept the escape characters. They still appear in the code however, they do not actually execute. Why? Has this been deprecated? I have found no evidence of this nor any evidence to support why it only works in your environment. Please help, thank you.

PS. Here is a look at the code in Codepen.io

2 Likes

So method of output is important to know then. Browsers do not display escape characters like they do in the console for some reason (which I must now research and know). I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks.