Eye strain for programmers

My eye strains itself and ends up hurting itself. I have myopia of around .5 and 1, not bad enough so I usually don’t wear glasses. But due to Corona, I’ve been spending extended period in front of the monitor. Any tips for programmers and even students to take care of their eyes?

I don’t have much experiance with eye strain, though for prolonged periods of time in front of the computer, especially at night, I find using a blue light filter is much easier on your eyes.

1 Like

For myself, I ended up using a blue light filter on my screen. For Windows you look for Night Light, but I’d highly reccomend getting blue light blocking glasses. For your eye strain, try to take a break every 20 minutes and look away for 20 seconds. I also would use eye drops as well to help my eyes relieve any strain. I hope these helped you

1 Like

I use dark mode in anything that I can (the Dark Reader extension for websites that don’t have dark mode). I also have redshift with a config script that automatically controls color temperature based on my location and time. It’s also necessary to rest eyes for a bit after a stretch of coding/staring at the screen.

Eyesore is actually not still an issue for me, my issue is mainly pain in my neck and back. I try stretching from time to time and it really helps.

1 Like

It’s to swallow our pride and do yoga my friend

1 Like

I don’t exercise. I mean at all. I can’t stress that enough! Before COVID I used to walk regularly. I’ve become the ultimate practitioner of lethargy and laziness.

1 Like

Hi @revenstar2,
I am also have problems with eye strain. I tried multiple things: a couple of bigger monitors, using the program ‘redshift’(linux) and dark-mode for everything.

These things helped, but I come to the conclusion that the problem is: A monitor is like a lightbulb (and that is something that you can’t really change).

So, now I using an e-ink display to write and my eyes are better. Something like this:

The display is small 5" (I think), I need to connect using shh+tmux and can run cli(only) apps (I use text editors for coding, not an IDE, so at least for now that is not a problem).

I wish I could buy a Remarkable2, that seems a really nice device for coding.

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for writing, my eyes are getting better. Using flux really makes a different!

I was told to take fish oil because it is full of omega 3 fatty acids. Plus, it has the added benefit of helping with weight loss.

But as you know fish oil is disgusting, so I take it in pill form. It works wonders!

1 Like