Feeling Lost in Coding

Hello everyone, I feeling lost in creating web-pages/websites during the task. Any suggestion or guidance to increase the motivation of learning? FreeCodeCamp is a good learning platform however the part of learning was too much words. (I hate reading words…)

Hi there,

As far as motivation goes, I think you should remind yourself why you are learning to code. Be it to make a better living, the love of code, etc…

As for reading, you’re probably going to do a lot of that when programming. Maybe watch video tutorials to help the learning process. I always like watching the net ninja and traversy media on youtube…

Good luck!

Kevin Powell has some good video tutorials and a basics playlist. Also, he sounds exactly like Jared from silicon valley so it’s like you’re learning from Jared.

1 Like

For me, ALL of my motivation stems from that 1st cup of coffee in the morning. Notice that I said 1st? :upside_down_face:

As far as having to read goes, in a corporate environment, you can expect to have to read a lot as well as write. Also, it sooo much faster to search for something and read through the article (or whatever) and get the info you’re looking for than sitting through a video only to find that something wasn’t explained well or, that ONE part you needed had messed up audio.

2 Likes

You will only face more words as you spend more time in this industry.

Learn to skim and pick out the words that are relevant and important to you. It’s a skill that will take time to learn.

1 Like

Hi @yosefc, thank you so much for you suggestion. I will do the best as you reminded me what brought me to coding.

2 Likes

Exactly, i am wondering was freecodecamp’s platform the most words than others like moodle etc. Thank you for the information @shimphillip

I personally like reading, and would prefer to read a guide/tutorial/article than watch a video/listen to the topic.

Reading comes with the following advantages:

1. Generally distraction free - videos, and audit will have ads and no clear way to get around them. There are ads on sites, but you can clearly ignore those 99% of the time when reading.

2. You can skim better than skipping around a video

3. You can “go back” over what you need/want as fast you need/require to get a topic. Read a sentence 5 times if you have to if it makes no sense

4. You can search/skim/refer much faster with text than any other format.

As @shimphillip said, reading is everywhere. code is meant to be read. There is literally no way to get around it. You will need to read your code, someone elses code, your own code from a few weeks back, its the job. You will need to read non-code for requirements, emails from your boss, bugs from your users, chat from your co-workers. reading is going to be everywhere.

I’m not sure of the level of un-comfortableness with reading, but it should be something to focus on. No matter what your goals are with coding/programming/software development, your going to be reading in some capacity no matter what.

Now this just assumes the issue is actually reading, or the act of learning what your reading. Learning complex topics that may require lots of documentation is something of a learned ability. Being able to focus on what you need to learn and being and to learn is a key skill. You could argue being able to learn well from documentation will help you learn anything. Since things change so fast, and there is always too much to learn, being able to learn what you need to know is they skill to possess.

Goodluck, and keep up the learning!

1 Like

Remember there are many types of learners. Some people (visual-linguistic learners) learn best by reading. Others learn best by listening (auditory learners), visuals (visual-spatial), etc.

You may want to try and cater your studying to your learning style. You can read more here:

https://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/

As well, there are many online tests/surveys which will interpret your answers and try and predict your learning style for you.

1 Like

@JunJie19
I agree with ethanvernon. My style is visual-spatial and when I started to learn coding I found it very difficult to learn from text. Not that I don’t like text, I like to read. But the code wouldn’t stick into my brain, because I wasn’t able to make an image of it in my mind. I literally couldn’t see it and therefore couldn’t really understand and use it.

I need to “see” things before I’m able to understand them. Now that I’m more advanced in html/css I’m able to write that code in my mind, read it, see what it looks like in a website, or just see the boxes, etc. all in my own head without writing a single line of code.
And the more I learn the easier it is to do this. Of course it’s limited due to a limited working memory, but to be able to see it (finally, took me a long time) makes me more confident. Now I even like to read the specs in long texts. They finally make sense to me.

I learned in different places in different ways. I watched video’s, I coded stuff during lessons, I’ve been reading a lot, I’ve looked at existing websites to see how the code was used to create things. The learning on different platforms (FCC, Codecademy, Udacity, Treehouse, w3schools) and from books (Jon Duckett) helped me to rehearse stuff without getting bored. I hate rehearsing, but I really need it when I’m learning to code.

I’m trying to tackle the same problem now with js, git, node, Wordpress development, etc. I’m taking courses on Udemy (Brad Schiff), but I’m also still on FCC and Treehouse. I’ll get there in the end.

Hope this helps you to find your way in learning code.