Finance/trading bots

Hi!
I was looking up jobs online in the finance sector and came across a job I was qualified for but the major thing they wanted was someone that knew Python. Funny enough thats why I’m here now. I am fairly tech savvy but am 100% new to coding.

I see that the curriculum states i should start from top to bottom. Is it an absolute must as i dont have a huge interest in web design or would I be taught concepts way over my head jumping right to python?

The python curriculum assumes that you have prior knowledge of programming concepts. If that’s your first programming language, it may not be the best place to start.

2 Likes

I hope its not too late, but python is one of the easiest languages to learn. I took a python tutorial on youtube and after about an hour of study I used the concepts I learned to make a chat bot.

With that being said, the Free Code Camp course doesn’t hold your hand and teach you everything you really need to know. A lot of it is mind-numbing drill and memorization. However, it does offer you the cert you want to get your foot in the door for the job.

I don’t think its an absolute must to start from top to bottom. Even starting from the top, you will have to google things and search for why/how X works. FreeCodeCamp doesn’t spend a long time on theory and you should be using outside material to suplement your studies. So while the Python course may be a little harder for you than someone who started from the top, its not necessary. You’ll just have some catching up to do on the googling.

Best of luck

I totally agree with James_Matthew_Harris. Python is not the most complicated language, so it won’t take you much time to learn it. When I was working as a Middle Web Designer, my boss wanted to promote me to a higher job position. The only condition was the knowledge of Python. I learned it in 2 months. In addition to that small fact, I used to work as a doctor for almost 20 years (I’m 48). The funniest fact is that the financial manager from Financial Planning for Physicians | The Finity Group, that used to manage my income when I was a doctor, still works for me and manages my money. Anyway, I hope my little story will inspire you. Keep us updated!!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.