Finished JavaScript basics - struggling with projects

I’ve been through all of the JavaScript basics and understand it all, but I am struggling when I try to put it together with simple projects.

Anybody have any advice?

Learning JavaScript is one thing but using JavaScript to build projects is another thing. Mainly because you have to get handle on interacting with DOM especially if you are working on vanillajs.

I suggest you take this crash course on JS.

2 Likes

Will do. Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

Another great crash course is the book: “Headstart Javascript”. It’s REALLY good, and will demystify a lot for you, while also putting a lot together. You get to build a real battleship game too, and you’ll be mighty proud when you are finished and see it working live!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this…I was looking for this type of book for long time.

1 Like

@monroemann I searched for “Headstart Javascript” and only found a book called “Head First Javascript.” Is this the book you are referring to?

1 Like

That’s the book. Should be published by O’Reilly.

1 Like

I bought this book after someone mentioned it in another thread on FCC. I love it! A Javascript book that’s fun to read, easy to understand, that makes things finally click in my brain and that helps me remember what I learned. Great!!

1 Like

There is a saying. Don’t learn a language. Build a project. JavaScript is just a tool. You are the one using the tool. Force yourself to dive in and tackle a very small scoped project. Don’t try and tackle the universe right away. Start small and before you know it you will be turning your shower ideas into full projects with nothing but a computer and your trusty google search skills. :slight_smile:

It’s crucial that you pick a small project that uses subject matter that interests you intimately. If you aren’t fully engaged in what you are building it will be much harder.

1 Like

I will source the book

Can you give us some examples of these simple projects that you are struggling with? What seems to be the main stumbling block? Is this your first foray on programming/javascript? How much time have you spent trying to solve problems on your own? FCC challenges don’t count :stuck_out_tongue: