Flatiron Community Powered Bootcamp vs FreeCodeCamp and other free resources

Flatiron Community Powered Bootcamp vs FreeCodeCamp and other free resources

Hi all, I was very close to doing the Flatiron Community Powered Bootcamp (link above), however held off on it because after thinking for a while I figured that FreeCodeCamp probably provides the same experience as long as I use the forums well and interact with others online. I’m very confident in my self-motivation etc. so I’m not worried about losing interest or anything.

Maybe other people have considered this course or even other online self-paced boot-camps and have an opinion on it vs FCC, as it certainly is starting to sound to me that if someone who is self-motivated and can make good use of online networking tools, if a free option like FCC is available, it makes sense to go this route.

Thanks in advance!

You have answered your own question.

I’m doing a mixture of freeCodeCamp and courses at edx.org. They offer a bunch of free courses created by Harvard, MIT, and other top universities, and you have the option to pay a little for a completion certificate. I’m not sure if that’s gonna help in finding a job, but I don’t mind supporting the platform, if nothing else. Besides, $50 for a complete course from MIT is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I did FlatIron’s promotion a while back where they donated money based on how many lessons you completed, but I didn’t like the feel of the place so I stopped once the charity drive was over. I don’t remember exactly why, but I do remember that I preferred it here.

My goal is just to have a robust experience learning to code, so I’m open to trying different places out. I like freeCodeCamp the best of all the free options. In that regard, I don’t see why you can’t do both freeCodeCamp and FlatIron. Once I’m confident, I’ll probably tackle some of the big certifications from Microsoft and Google, etc.

I know, I mean my opinion is FCC makes sense, however I kinda wanted to know what other people thought :slight_smile:

Just start with the FCC curriculum and after finishing you do not feel you are where you should be, then you can always pay some bootcamp if you feel you will get more out of it. In my opinion most bootcamps try to cram everything into a 6-8 weeks and while you feel you learn something during the session, you lose a lot when you get out and unless you have the discipline to keep practicing as you were during the bootcamp, then you will lose at least half of the knowledge within a couple of weeks. Based on several people I have spoken with who attended bootcamps and were successful in finding a job afterwards, most had a good understand of programming before entering the boot camp to begin with, so the bootcamp was merely teaching them some new languages, syntax. Some people respond better when their paying for something and being forced to focus. These same people struggle to motivate themselves without the bootcamp regime.

Thanks, and if I could do a bootcamp I probably would, and may even do one down the road. But I appreciate your insight into boot camps as I kinda figured they were some kind of magical zero-job ready program in only 3 months or whatever. However they probably only are if you continue the learning outside of the bootcamp and just see it as a tool to accelerate a portion of your learning.

But I think I’ll use FCC for now, and see how things go. Thanks for the input.

Thanks! I guess one perspective it doesn’t really matter, as long as you learn the things you want to learn, in a way that works for you.

I’m a fan of edx however it seems so crowded on there I find it hard to know what’s best to study. However I’m running through their electronics and circuits course (very slowly) and that’s going well.

I might do a few certifications down the road as well, I know my old desktop support job was pushing me to get a cert, so maybe I’ll get a developer based one.