Found my first dev job

A year ago, I got rejected by a Canadian Bootcamp process(right before covid happened), six months later,right in the middle of the pandemic I decided to quit my job as a contract accountant because the working conditions were terrible and there was no professional growth within the company,I tought it was stupidity at N exponential at first, I quit none the less,one month later, I enrolled into another bootcamp in my home country, I struggled, bad, really bad, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, the amount of hours placed and I thought I was learning nothing.

I finished my cohort with three “pasable” projects and I wasn’t getting by the coding challenges or interviews, this felt like a dead end for me, I put in money, time and I lost a relationship, sacrifices were made,clearly, by march I tought I was done for and wrote a topic titled “when to throw the towel” ,right after I wrote that I got several replies, those kept me going, I decided to go back to my cohort bootcamp material and video recordings and do a personal project.

Months went by, and as I kept pushing hacker rank challenges daily and kept working on my personal project, I started to shrug my pride and my depression off, I just couldn’t quit, it made no sense, then I got an interview which led to an apprenticeship, which now lead to a full time position.

One of the things that struck me while on this journey every time I felt frustrated is that, frustration and depression are optional, and you can decide not to embrace them and rather choose to keep pushing forward, be honest with yourself but fair, be disciplined but don’t over do it and if you ever feel stuck, always and I mean ALWAYS ask for help.

I want to thank the free code camp forum staff for encouraging me to not give up, so I would invite you to do the same, in times of desperation and frustration…

DO-NOT-GIVE-UP. you can waddle, scream, cry throw tantrums at the wall, but for christ sakes, Don’t give up, there is no such thing as “giving up” in coding anyways, so I wish all the best.

5 Likes

Yes, patience, constancy and resilience are an essential part of the process.
Congratulations for your achievement.

Very often these rejections are for better, you grow much more ( as a person and as a professional ) after those situations.
Again, congratulations for your achievement, and remember, you can continue learning and improving .
Best Wishes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.