Frameworks and their benefits

Hi guys,

I’ve been working through FCC for the past 8 months or so. I’m currently working through the intermediate algorithm section to give a rough idea of where I’m at. I’m taking a break at the moment to work on my first real client web site (woot!) and that is super exciting. I’m starting to get to a point where my natural curiosity is turning to passion. I’ve considered full time work as a web developer and counted the cost of what it takes to get there self educated. I made some business cards and had a t shirt printed with a custom logo on it and that’s all great, but after looking around, I see a ton of hiring employers looking for developers who don’t just know HTML, CSS, and JavaScript but usually a framework along with it. I have lightly touched on php and ruby and am beginning to research the back end side of development, but specifically for this post - what is the real benefit to learning a JavaScript framework? Can anyone add some insight to why I should focus on angular vs ember? Backbone or node? I hear all these terms and obviously they must be different and have substantial, unique benefits but to me just diving in they are a bunch of terms that don’t mean anything. How does a newbie dive in? Thank you for your time!

1 Like

You first have to understand the difference between a library and a framework.

A library is a piece of code that you can integrate easily in existing projects, it’s usually small and only does what it says it does, for instance React only serves the UI and that’s it, no Http requests, no database, just a view.

A framework is a collection of tools that allow you to create X in an opinionated way, with existing ORM, router, view, etc. It’s used to speed up development and it’s safer to use because it’s harder for a framework to stop development than for a library.

TLDR; it saves a bunch of time and effort.

4 Likes