Free Code Camp keeps starting me at the beginning

Free Code Camp keeps starting me at the beginning

Hi,
I am loving Free Code Camp. I’m learning a lot and at a pace I can follow. I have so far done 44 challenges on the Cat Photo App or maybe that’s still one challenge until the app is finished.
But every time I log out and then later log back in, it seems to take me to the beginning of building the CatPhotoApp rather than taking me back to where I left off. I’m just wondering if that is on purpose so I will learn by doing it over and over or am I doing something that is causing this?
Any ideas?

This is not desired behavior.
You should use Map when that happens to go to last task you remember and start from there,
and not from beginning.

The same thing happened to me after I finished all the challenges up to “Basic Front End Projects”. So yesterday I logged out and after logging in again today: all my progress was deleted … :tired_face:

Today I worked through all those challenges again until I ended up at challenge #150. But I don’t want to log out, since I’m afraid this will happen again - and this time I won’t start all over again.

Any advice on this matter (besides “don’t log out”) would be appreciated very much!

That is definitely not normal and sounds very frustrating, you can send an email to team@freecodecamp.com and maybe they can resolve that issue.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought maybe it was some kind of repetitive learning thing.

There are two different types of progress being saved going on at Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.
@Brisket1 - your profile shows two days of steady progress.
@emcewe - your profile is set to private, so I can’t see your challenges, but it looks like your account was created today.

If your profile does not include your completed challenges, here is my troubleshooting advice:

1. Double check that you used the same method to sign in. Try logging out and back in again with the original method.
  2. Double check that you aren’t on the beta site now and that you didn’t create your original account on the beta site by accident. (Yes, this does happen.)
  3. Contact team@freecodecamp.com . The most likely scenario is that your account got duplicated when you signed in and you are being logged into the new one. When that happens, someone on the team can merge your accounts. Please be patient when emailing the team. Remember that there are thousands of campers, a small team, and this is all volunteer-driven.

Your progress tracking (map) is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. If you are changing browsers or clearing your cache regularly you’ll have to use freecodecamp.com/map to navigate to your next challenge. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

interesting. I’m not sure what emcewe is. I certainly didn’t intend to create a second account at all. Not sure what happened.

@emcewe is another user who mentioned the same problem in this thread.

Thanks a lot @ArielLeslie for your help! I indeed delete my browser cache, cookies and all that stuff regularly. I just flagged the fcc cookies, local storage etc. as favorite ones, so they won’t be deleted automatically.

Thanks @ArielLeslie I appreciate the clarification.