Free Maths books

@Jatudrei dei has referenced this link for free reading resources in Maths.

(thank you !)

You can either read online, download the pdf, or download a zip of html files.

• for those who need to build their Maths skills
  • for those who don’t like videos :relaxed:

The textbooks may seem like a lot at first (between 800 and 1200 pages) but they’re full of examples and exercises - not hard theory alone. If after a few exercises you’re fine, then just skip and you’ll go from chapter to chapter in no time.

Presentation of the Pre-Calculus course: (for those who need the “basics” first).

Precalculus is adaptable and designed to fit the needs of a variety of precalculus courses. It is a comprehensive text that covers more ground than a typical one- or two-semester college-level precalculus course. The content is organized by clearly-defined learning objectives, and includes worked examples that demonstrate problem-solving approaches in an accessible way.

Warning:

The material is well explained with examples and exercises, but beware, all textbooks are peer-reviewed - I’ve already reported 2 mistakes in the given solutions to exercises.

Have a look ! (Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Algebra 1,2,3, …) What do you think?

5 Likes

I’ll need these, I have to repeat my calculus course :frowning2:

It’s also excellent against insomnia !

1 Like

The last time I checked they didn’t have calculus.

The simulations in the physics book are fun and addicting :smiley:

1 Like

@kevcomedia

The last time you checked must’ve been a while ago. Now they have three different calculus books–calculus level one, level two, and level three.

I think it’s been a year. According to the site, calculus was added last February.

I guess they must’ve had all three in the works simultaneously, then, because it was some months ago that I downloaded the bunch into my Google Drive reference library, and I don’t believe that they created two more fat calculus books from scratch in that time.

I’ve started reading Pre-Calculus (I’ve started reading a bunch of things so I’d like to try to stick to this one), and I think I’ll have to do Pre-algebra as well. I don’t know ! When @P1xt said Maths, I found that it was often Calculus that was recommended for programming.

That said, their Pre-Calculus pdf is 1200 pages long…hm.

What I want first is to understand more how to look at things, being able to recognize relationships and relevant parts of a problem. I’ve always thought knowing Maths could do that.

Maybe a bit overthorough? Yeah, they’re meant for teachers and students to take out the parts that are used in their courses, so they try to cover everything that might fit under the title. You’ll definitely need to pick and choose a little, unless you just love math for its own sake.

I too think it’s unrealistic of me to consider doing it all…I just have to figure out what to pick.

1 Like

Damn…I was already very happy with my Pre-calculus. Switching now. Thank you !

I’m inching through the statistics lessons in Khan Academy, but do you think I should have done calculus first?

@P1xt

That’s great and all, but what should a “final list” for programming usefulness look like? I’m thinking algebra, trig, calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and statistics and probability. What do you say?

and I was just starting to like you.:scream:

Now you don’t? :cry:

Fortunately, my kids will always love me.

Hey, stop kicking me! And come back here with my hat!!!

1 Like

@P1xt

Yeah, I was thinking about including geometry. Ok, good to know that I’m on the right track. Thanks.

1 Like

I study software engineering, we have to take algebra, geometry, trigonometry, logic and sets, differential calculus, linear algebra, statistics 1 & 2, conceptual physics, integral calculus, discrete math, mechanical physics, multivariable calculus, differential equations and fields and waves.

Those are the ones that I remember.

Well now, that is a longer list, isn’t it? :yum:

You do realize I’m back to learning the multiplication tables, right? But it’s ok, happy bunny, happy bunny me. I’m not starting from scratch…I’m starting from scratch - 50. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Good. Boredom is bad. Busyness is good. Have fun! (Hey, I’m not so far much further on than you, particularly when I consider @Oxyrus’s expanded list.)

1 Like