freeCodeCamp Curriculum counts as a "technical certificate"

Im starting the process of imigration to Canada that i hope to be finished in 700 days.
One way to imigrate is to get a company to hire you; with is my point here.
I have time to complete most of fCC curriculum but first i would like to know if it counts as some type of “technical certificate” that companies actually look for.

Also, if not, what WEB course counts as a real certificate ?

Sorry if its a dumb question… im really uninformed about it.

2 Likes

web development has no officially recognised certificate at all

a degree can look good on a CV, but most of all you need to show what you have learned showing a few project

if you post your CV, portfolio, github account and whatever else you are using to market yourself to companies, you can get a lof of advices to improve your chances

2 Likes

keep in mind that im really new to all this.
i will just state my hopes and u can tell me if its kinda possible or just dreams.

What i pretend on doing is to finish most courses on fCC and then focus only in mysql for about 90 days.

I think i can do all this in 150 days if i put my mind into it.

If i do this, do u think im prepared to start doing something in back-end ? if so, how to start ? i have no clue where i can find a project to start or if i need to make a personal one … and that’s what make my so uneasy, if i spend all this time studying and after that there is nothing i can do to build a github worth showing off (lets say junior level) or some type of portifolio i will be really hopeless.

Do u think this path is good or im just dreaming ?

2 Likes

you can put the projects you do on fcc on yor github to show your growth, also the fcc curriculum includes backend

for inspiration on the road, the freecodecamp podcast has a lot of success stories of people that managed to get a job, also in #career subforum and freecodecamp.org/news

also one of the projects for the first certificate is a portfolio, and you can start there building your own
going forward, you will build more complex things, you could contribute to open source projects (including freeCodeCamp), and find inspiration for projects to do on your own even just googling

for now you will need to start learning, you don’t need to know everything now, but you need to start

3 Likes

ok then, once im way ahead in fCC curriculum i will contact you again.
Ty for the advice.

1 Like

I agree with ieahleen has said. But to get more to the immigration question …

Immigration is difficult. (My wife and I are trying to move to Europe and we’re almost ready but it’s been a 5 year process.) It is especially difficult to immigrate with a job. It is a lot of work and money for the company to sponsor you so many won’t be willing to do it, especially for a beginner. Also, most countries require them to show that no one else can do the job, that they must hire from outside the country. Sometimes there are exemptions for high demand jobs, but those are rare. Since you don’t have a degree, they are going to be expecting some kind of work history, something that shows you can do the job. I don’t know if certificates from an online, self-paced, free tutorial are going to do that.

I would look for some forums online, like “forum american expats in Canada” or “american immigration to canada”, things like that. I got a wealth of information from sites like that. Of course, the Canadian web sites will have some information too.

2 Likes

Individual companies offer certifications in their technology (like AWS and Oracle, for example). There are no standardized certifications for software development. The closest to that would be accredited degree programs through colleges and universities.

If I am understanding you correctly, you plan to spend 60 days working on the freeCodeCamp curriculum and then 90 days on mysql (although I’m not sure what you’re expecting to do in those 90 days). I am extremely dubious of the prospect of gaining enough experience and expertise to be job-ready in that amount of time. Sometimes people do astonishing things, so I’m not saying it’s impossible.

2 Likes

60 days on fCC and 90 days on sql so i can really get into it.
i heard that there is a lot of jobs for backend and that its more simple to make a portifolio on backend than on front end.
after this i intend on starting a project or enter one ongoing … i expect that by doing this i can create something to show on my portifolio/github.

so its basicaly a 150 days study - then 300 days working on things … at this point its going to be in middle 2021 with is when i should start asking for jobs in canada to immigrate first quarter 2022.

i dont think i will stop working so basicaly after this 150 days study its going to be all work … if i fail in 2022 first quarter i think i can try again in 2023 … with a better portifolio but i cant garantee i have enough funds to keep a nonprofitable life till 2024 …

sounds more realistic now right ?

2 Likes

I think that you should really get started on your studies before trying to make this sort of plan. I think that after a month or so of learning to code you’ll be able to make a more realistic plan.

4 Likes

Agreed, and that plan will likely evolve as you learn more about the technologies, the market, and what you enjoy. But sometimes it’s good to have a plan, even if you know it will change.

2 Likes

do not expect to do all of FCC in that timeframe, it may be possible, but not usually, and also 90 days only on a database language are a lot if you have no other backend knowledge - if you have a full stack to use then you can incorporate mysql in a full-stack project

2 Likes

i am sorry i am new but what does FCC mean

1 Like

FCC is the short version of Free Code Camp

2 Likes

thanks @ilenia
jasper2 :heart:

1 Like

You build your future in the present moment, not by thinking what you will do in 90 days from now. Stop thinking and start working now!

3 Likes

really agree with you. Degree is piece of paper. Every one wants experiance and skills,.

2 Likes

a degree is not useless, it is an advantage in getting a job in most cases, plus it shows you spent those 3/4/5 years doing hard things and came out on the other side victorious

4 Likes

Yeah, most of the people I know with degrees seem to have an easier time getting a job and tend to get better, higher paid positions. Now, in web dev, this is probably the field where that is least true - there are a lot of good jobs out there for people without degrees - but there is still some truth to it.

1 Like

Yeah, a degree is much, much more than a piece of paper. It is a credential from a certified organization that speaks to a certain level of skill and knowledege.

1 Like

After about 4-5 years of industry experience, a CS degree doesn’t mean much – 99% of the programming field only cares about the technologies you know how to use, not the theory of how they work. All things being equal, I’d take the person with theory knowledge and experience, but things are rarely equal.

Of course there’s fields where you need a degree to even be considered, like, oh, most of the other sciences. We really need to separate CS from Software Engineering as degrees go, and the weak tea called “CSIS” doesn’t count. But I’ve been complaining about that for 20 years going, and the situation hasn’t changed, so I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like