Front End Development Libraries Projects - Build a Random Quote Machine

Hey! I have now followed your instructions and refreshed the page. I do have the Howdy, but I do not have the Hamburger menu. This makes me wonder about two points where the only thing that seemed appropriate to do was to click Save & close. The first was the Babel instruction and the other was the thing at the end where I entered the FCC url.

I’m sorry, I didn’t think I needed to explain “saving”.

Unless you have it set up to auto-save, CP will not save your work unless you manually save it. Yes, assuming you don’t want to enter all the setup and code each time you go to CP, you will have to save your work.

As to why the hamburger isn’t there, if you provide a link to the pen, we can help you.

When looking at the pen that you posted before, I still see cruff in the HTML pane:

<div id="root"></div>
<script src=https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/react/18.2.0/umd/react.production.min.js/>
<script src=https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/react-dom/18.2.0/umd/react-dom.production.min.js/>

only that first line should be there.

When I look at the JS libraries in the settings:

I see a lot of things that I not say to add and I don’t see the FCC library that I suggested. If you followed the instructions, then there should only be three entries there.

When I enter the FCC library there, the green hamburger appears.

Yes, you have to save and close.

O.K. it is now working, but they overlap

Yes, they overlap. That is fine. In a “real” page, that hamburger wouldn’t be there. Just ignore it.

Do you approve my libraries now?

Yes, that is what I expect.

If you need more, then by all means add them. Just add them in the CP settings. I don’t think you need most of what you had, but you may want Bootstrap if you want it for the UI components.

Will font-awesome work without anything else?

I don’t know - I haven’t tried to implement it in CP.

But I think you’re putting the cart before the horse. I’d recommend getting a functioning app before worrying about how to make it pretty. If you’re building a sailboat, make sure it floats and the sails and rudders work before you start painting the hull and picking out curtains for the cabin.

O.K. I think I have added the basic array of objects. Apparently, not. Can we talk about this.

I mixed up my rules and wrapped something in () rather than {}

I can’t see your code so I can’t help. And this is beyond the scope of this thread.

If you’re having and issue, start a new thread for that issue and provide a link to the pen - that is one of the advantages of using an online IDE. Explain what the issue is. If you want my (or whoever’s) attention to the thread, you can add @kevinSmith in the thread.

Thx for helping me to clean up my setup.

I made some changes that did not work. I kept taking pieces of the changes out until I got back to what we had set up. Now that is not even working. Even your basic React app is giving me the following error:

Function declarations should not be placed in blocks. Use a function expression or move the statement to the top of the outer function.

If I go to this pen it seems to be working. If you mean something else, please let us know.

This is hard stuff. Programming is hard. And React is a harder layer on top of that. It’s really cool, but it’s weird at first and takes a bit before it clicks.

Hmm. Oddly https://codepen.io/tony_the_tiger-the-typescripter/pen/jOxrOBW?editors=1111 seems to have the same content as https://codepen.io/tony_the_tiger-the-typescripter/pen/jOxrOBW, but the former is not processing correctly. I will try to work from the latter.

First of all, those are the same pens. Notice that they have the same slugs, OxrOBW.

Secondly, we can’t help you if you don’t tell us what the issue is. I don’t know what “not processing correctly” means. I am not seeing what you are seeing. We are not mind readers.

An important part of working as a web dev is communication. All the time at work I have to communicate to people about problems or missing information or whatever. I just can’t assume that they know what I know and are seeing what I see. I have to be thorough and explicit.

But now I see that this is just a second thread on the same pen. I’m going to close this thread so we don’t have two parallel threads.