&gt CSS Code Errors

Hello - this is my first post. I’m having trouble with some css someone else wrote but I must fix and this is not my profession. There are a series of errors involving all css using “&gt” and one example is pasted below. I’ve never seen the &gt before today and after hours of reading can’t figure this out. I linted the css and I get "Expected LBRACE, Unexpected token descriptions. I would so appreciate an explanation describing this better and how this is incorrect. And here is the problematic css:

.graphic_button_container:hover > .graphic_container_graphic img {
transform:scale(1.03);
}

&gt stands for greater then > but in css it means the direct child of

There is nothing wrong with the code above. When you hover the container that has that img inside it zooms to 1.03. Take a look at this codepen

What you’ve done here is a neat illustration of the problem. This is the code you posted, put inside backticks so that the forum software renders the exact characters used:

.graphic_button_container:hover > .graphic_container_graphic img {
transform:scale(1.03);
}

The code you’ve posted, as @sorinr has said, looks fine. But the browser, like every browser, is converting > to >. &gt: is the entity code used for a greater than symbol.

Read here:

There are lots of references, just Google “HTML entity codes”, here’s one:

http://entitycode.com/

Thank you. I wonder why when I put this code into csslint.com it is full of errors. I’m troubleshooting a website that has issues and I’ve never linted before but thought it might help. Every line that uses the greater than is problematic.

Thank you for the explanation on the entity. That is helpful. And the site reference. I’ll read up.

Ok, me again. I just now am understanding (I think!) what both you and Dan are explaining. I pasted your code into csslint.com and it has no errors. So the greater than symbol is what ought to be in the code but what I cut and pasted from the faulty wordpress site I’m working on showed &gt instead — is that accurate?