HELP: Iterate Through All an Arrays Items Using For Loops

HELP: Iterate Through All an Arrays Items Using For Loops

Hi there,

I need advise on how to proper delete nested array based on elem, I cant get the logic to work properly, and am stuck on this for several days now… my code is as follows:

function filteredArray(arr, elem) {
  let newArr = [];
  // change code below this line
    for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++){
    let arrLength = arr[i];
      for (let j = 0; j < arrLength.length; j++){
        if ( arrLength[j] === elem) {
          newArr = arr.splice(0, 1); 
        }
      }
    }   
  // change code above this line
  return newArr;
}
// change code here to test different cases:
console.log(filteredArray([ ["trumpets", 2], ["flutes", 4], ["saxophones", 2] ], 2));

If I understand correctly with the code above I’m always deleting the zeroth index of the arr parameter if condition is met in inner loop…

I know that with splice original arr gets modified…

And in this case the code runs OK, but with different arguments, its not working as expected…

I don’t want working code, as I’d like to figure it out on my own… I would appreciate if you can give me some hints/advice on how to target the inner array which needs to be deleted.

Thank you

You understand this correctly, so what should you use instead of 0 in the splice?

Once you figure out what to put instead of 0 above, you will have two more issues to overcome.

1. If you remove a single element of arr with the splice, do you really need to keep looking at the remaining elements of arrLength?

2. Since your splice removes an element, should you adjust the variable i, to account for this removed element of arr?

Suggestion: It would make your code more readable to rename arrlength to subArr, because arrLength is an array and not an length value.

Hi Randell,

Thanks for the prompt answer… your suggestions helped a lot, and after few tests and tweaks I finally figured it out :grinning:

here is my working code:

function filteredArray(arr, elem) {
  let newArr = [];
  // change code below this line

for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++){
    let subArr = arr[i];
      innerLoop:
      for (let j = 0; j < subArr.length; j++){
        if ( subArr[j] === elem) {
          newArr = arr.splice(i, 1); 
          --i;
          break innerLoop;

}
      }
    }   
  // change code above this line
  return arr;
}
// change code here to test different cases:
console.log(filteredArray([[3, 2, 3], [1, 6, 3], [3, 13, 26], [19, 3, 9]], 3));

Once again THANK YOU!!

Congratulations on figuring out a solution.

FYI - It is not necessary to use the innerLoop reference to break out of the inner for loop. When you use break, it will break out of the closest loop, which in this case is the inner loop.

Also, you could combine these two lines:

newArr = arr.splice(i, 1); 
          --i;

into:

newArr = arr.splice(i--, 1); 

Thank you :slight_smile:

I have updated my code as suggested, makes much more sense now :wink: