Help with Git please

I started a new website using create react app and started working with git straight away,
for the last week i was committing after each section of the basic site i was making, today i noticed it was adding node_modules to the staging area which i thought was weird cause i thought i had a gitignore.txt file but couldn’t see it , so i checked my github and i saw that the empty create react app which i uploaded was there but no additional commits. i tried to create a new gitignorefile which went fine and then staged it separately and commit -m and it said it was successful.
however when i checked git there was not new commits.
i dont know how i screwed this up but i did(go me!) im not sure what i should do right now?
should i just try and make a new git folder for it on github and commit or should i find out where the hell it thinks its committing my files too?
I used to have an old github account. I made a new github account as i couldnt remember my details could it be some how linked to my old github?

no, the file name has to be .gitignore

be aware that making a commit you are not pushing to github, you need to use the git push command for that. until you push your commits exist only locally

1 Like

sorry the file is .gitignore i just didnt write the .

but i forgot about the push stage so thanks! i will try and push my .gitignore file now and hope that node modules doesnt get added when i git add *

edit
okay so i still have issues i pushed my .gitignore file but when i type git status i still see node_modules in the file list my .gitignore.txt file is just this :

# Dependency directories
node_modules

without extension, just .gitignore

1 Like

thanks alot node modules is no longer causing issues and im pushing stuff to my github!

i really dont know what or how i messed stuff up but when i do ‘git add *’ i get this error message

warning: LF will be replaced by CRLF in README.md.
The file will have its original line endings in your working directory

for multiple files any ideas how to fix this?

google it, it’s a warning, not an error

Maybe you should have a forward slash in front, like /node_modules?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.