Help with my Learning Road Map

Hey there folks,

I am still chugging along on here but I wanted to post this real quick to get some feed back. I have been pretty busy the past two weeks so I have had more time to think than code(still getting an hour in a day at least). So the easiest way I can think to ask this question is by saying I basically have 5 udemy courses, all of fcc, and a udacity nano degree that I want to do, as well as various youtube videos just to toss in to learn some more stuff.

I wanted to get through the first 2 fcc certifications before I hopped on some of the udemy courses like the web dev bootcamp for some more structured teaching, but I am getting the feeling if I knew more I could make better products. With that said how did some of you guys out there tackle it? I just want to know enough to make my portfolio actually decent. I am only on survey form and have already learned a bunch. am I limiting myself by only working the projects?

I want to make the jump to webdev in the next 2 years. I currently have a decent job that doesn’t suck as bad as my last job and I will top out in 3 years making around 62k a year, the down side is the work is really boring and after the corona virus clears up I am likely to spend 1/3-1/2 of the year at sea(huge downside to my job). At sea I will not be able to anything coding that require internet, and I will likely have to go at the beginning of next summer so I am trying to make the most of the time the corona virus has given me. I was supposed to be gone now by thanks to the virus I basically got 5 extra months at home this year. Maybe this post is a bit all over the place but I could really use some guidance, I really want to get to a place where I am home for my family, making decent money besides stuck away from home or in a cubical being glorified button pusher with engaging work.

I would finish the nano degree and in my free time some free code camp(maybe the first two certificates), then another courses, but if you finish the nano degree you will know what’s the next step. I wanted that course but it’s a little bit expensive for me xD

1 Like

I can’t really tell what should you learn first because I am still at the beggining and also because programming is so complex that even when you start, you deal with complex objects and cannot just start with for example assigning variables, etc. You’ll be always looking up for things you don’t know or understand by reading documentations or listing through github and other sites and therefore expanding your knowledge a bit by bit in many areas.

“I just want to know enough to make my portfolio actually decent.”

Nevertheless, it kinda sounds like you’re forcing yourself into something because you don’t want to do what you currently do… Programming can be pretty boring too I believe and just by finishing course after another will not make you good at it if you’re lacking interest.
I can at least attach these maps I came along.

2 Likes

Definitely not forcing myself. I actually took a WebDev class when I was a teenager and loved it. Just never clicked I could do it for a job. Fast forward I ended up becoming a geologist. The problem solving and difficulty and having to figure it out in programming is what I like about geology. My current job led me to Linux and scripting cause of the nature of my work, but that’s few and far between. I literally draw lines for a living and manage crap tons of files/data and delete data points. Hydrography job not geology. Don’t get me wrong I have a good stable job and so stinking easy, but coding is fun, it gives me the stress/thrill I get from geology, and my hobbies like powerlifting. I’m sure coding will suck at times but that is part of the fun of it in my opinion. Why do something that’s always l easy and boring, just can’t see myself doing they for 20 something years with 0 flexibility. As far as I can tell tech has great flexibility as far as work life balance/ remote work.

Yea I trying to top off my work with the Nano degree, I just feel like if I knew a little more from other stuff that I could add to what I do with free code camp. I generally think fcc with some udemy/ YouTube mixed it is a good approach, I’m just trying to really maximize my time while I have it do to the nature of my current job.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice/ help everyone!

Here is an alternative learning map https://roadmap.sh

2 Likes