How do I know if programming is for me?

Greetings I am 24 years old. I work as a Linux Administrator at a small startup and now I am trying to learn to code to expand my knowledge but I find it hard, how do I know is coding is for me or if I am smart enough?

You really do not need to be “smart” to learn how to code. You need patience and persistence. If you can work in DevOps I’m sure you are “smart” enough to learn how to code.

If 6 months from now you still don’t like coding then it might not be for you, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do some coding anyway. It just probably shouldn’t be your main job if you really don’t like it.

1 Like

is there any way to know if coding is for me? would you like to give me some advice in my learning journey?

You try it and see if its for you.

1 Like

But how long do I need to learn to actually build a website?

Depends upon how complex the website is. I’d just start the freeCodeCamp curriculum and see if you like it.

Coding on day one is essentially the same as all the other days. The difference usually is the subject you’re learning, and possibly a few other factors like risks and rewards.

Simply put coding, or more accurately software engineering is the act of understanding a problem and building a solution for it using software. During which you may run into other problems, that need to be determined and solved. You may also need to keep learning as things and technologies change.

Odds are you already do a lot of this as a Linux Administrator, the difference being the “medium” in which you tackle the problems. Rather than focusing on the administration side of things, you become the builder of the software that will go and “solve” the problem for you, along with any issues that arise during that process. (of which there are always many)

I think raw intelligence is highly over-rated in the grand scheme of things. Simply put building software to solve problems for you, rather than just solving them directly yourself requires more than just raw intelligence. Odds are things wont work most of the time. There are also infinite ways to solve most problems, and infinite ways to screw it up. Just “being smart” isn’t enough.

However, as said above, being persistence, patience and general gritcan help you get through the difficulties you face over time. Just being able to learn and keep learning and like it is the main trait that can carry you from day one to all the days that follow.

1 Like

You’re smart enough. Anyone is smart enough (excepting cognitive impairment). The question is - are you interested enough.

A lot of both learning to code and coding itself is a slog. It is often slow and frustrating, and you never get to stop learning. Because the task is difficult, if you do not find that there is some intrinsic reward to the process, you will probably not be successful.

The only way to find out is to spend time trying.

1 Like