How Free Code Camp helped me

You are truly inspiring. Congratulations on your success! I have a degree in environmental studies too and am looking to change my career by taking freeCodeCamp’s programming classes in my free time. I was worried having a non-tech degree would impact me in getting a good dev job. Not sure if you already answered this but, how long did it take you to learn enough to get a solid job?

Hello Smaerdian,

Just to be clear, I got REALLY lucky, but it took me a couple of months to feel ready and I went to some interviews until I got the change to have this job. The best way to improve your chances is to learn a bit everyday and send CV’s at the same time. Never stop trying and eventually you’ll get it.
IT area might not have always really well paid jobs for everyone, but if you really want to be in this area, you’ll find a job eventually. There are way more job opportunities than people seeking job. Well, at least this was true before the virus but… lets be optimistic! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Luis,

Depending on the programming language and the position you are looking for, there are a lot of opportunities in the south (I know, this sucks but you know better than me the country we live in). I heard that big companies are going to Porto, like Revolut! Take a look in their site, your experience as a aftersales manager might be useful for them!
I wish I could help you more, but all I have is my (not so much) experience.

But don’t give up!

Best luck!

Pedro

1 Like