Got my FIRST DEV JOB! 🚀

Hi everyone :wave:

I’m super excited and happy to share with you this news:

:rocket: I FOUND MY FIRST DEV JOB :rocket:

I can’t express how grateful I am tho the whole freeCodeCamp community. Discovering freeCodeCamp curriculum and this forum was the best thing that has happened to me during my learning journey. Thank you!

Hoping that someone will find it useful I’d like to share with you some of my thoughts and lessons that I’ve learned during my coding journey.

Facts

• no university degree – I quit university by the end of first year

• no previous tech experience – I used to work as a waiter, barman and a customer service assistant

• no previous coding knowledge – the only thing I knew before I started learning to code was that a website is made of head and body

• location — I’m living in Poland and this is where I’ve been looking for a job

freeCodeCamp

I’ve already said that I’m really grateful for discovering freeCodeCamp. Here’s couple of reasons why:

• building projects – this is where I have finally started building projects on my own and when I started to build those I realized how little I have learned by coding along video tutorials

• feedback – whenever I finished a project I would post it on the forum and get really valuable feedback

• answering questions/solving problems – very often when reading some posts I thought that I knew the answer to the problem but I had no idea how to explain that. This made me read more about the subject and it was a great way to learn.

Sell yourself

If like me you don’t have any previous technical experience you have to make yourself stand out from the crowd and get your potential employer curious enough to contact you. Here’s what helped me achieve that:

• GitHub – nice and green commit history as a great way to show your determination and consistency

• Portfolio – your skills in action, all the projects gathered in one place

• Resume – I tried to keep it clean and simple

• Presentation – showing that your past experience, even if not technical, can be your strong asset

Interesting project that you’re proud of

During my interview I was asked to tell something about one of the projects that I put on my resume – Habit Tracker App. There is nothing super exciting about it, it’s not a new Facebook or Twitter but it’s doesn’t have to be. Most importantly it should be yours, built from scratch, not following some tutorial, so you can advocate every decision that you made while building it, what problems you had and how did you overcome them.

Resources that I used

Here are my favorite resources:

and here’s a link to detailed, almost up-to-date list of the courses and tutorials that I’ve taken.

Questions that I got asked during technical interviews

• What’s the difference between var, let and const
  • What’s hoisting?
  • What’s a scope?
  • What’s a closure?
  • What problem do the promises solve?
  • What does DRY stands for?
  • What’s the difference between regular and arrow functions?
  • Describe this keyword
  • How would you improve performance of your website?
  • Why do we want our websites to be responsive?
  • What’s the difference between Mobile First and Desktop First approach?
  • What’s event loop?
  • What are the features of HTML5?

During interview I mentioned that while doing CS50 I have been programming using C so I got the following question:

• What’s the difference between JavaScript and C?

It’s definitely not a full list but I can’t remember anything else at the moment.

DON’Ts

Don’t put on your Resume/Portfolio things that you have vague idea of, or you have used only during some course. Even though I knew this, I still made this mistake. On first version of my resume, in additional skills I put: “C, Python, SQL”. Because I’ve been using this technologies during CS50. And guess what? It’s been more than six months since the last time I used Python and I got asked some really simple question about it only because it was on my resume.

How long did it take me?

I intentionally don’t say how long did it take me because I think it’s irrelevant. We all have different backgrounds and circumstances so there is no point comparing the time that it took us to get a job. I think that the most important thing is setting your goals, working towards achieving them and beliving in yourself.

Thank you for reading this far, I hope that you’ve found something useful/interesting here and good luck to all of you that are still about to get this first dev job – I can’t wait to read your posts with these great news!

Update 26/02/2021

I’ve just signed the contract and I got offered the position of Fullstack Developer :slight_smile:

131 Likes

Hi @sitek94 !

Congrats on getting your first job!

Your projects are awesome!

Thanks for sharing your story and what you talked about during the interview.

I think this is so important. I have learned so much through solo projects. It takes a lot of work but it is worth it in the end. I am building my first full stack app and constantly breaking things and looking up answers on stackoverflow :laughing: But it is all part of the process.

I am going to have to remember that because it has been a while since I worked with C and I wouldn’t want to be asked interview questions on that :laughing:

I agree. All that matters is that you put in the work to get there.

Good luck on the job!

7 Likes

Nice of you to share that. It is good to read another success story, especially from someone with no technical background.

Did you get a job as a junior or intern? Frontend/backend?

6 Likes

Just curious how long did it take for you to land the job?

2 Likes

Good on you man! Congrats and thanks for the sharing your experience + the tips.

2 Likes

Congratulation !! I hope soon I’ll be in your shoes. :grin:

The good part is that I really think I could answer all the questions there, but answer to it and being able to fully use the skill is completely different.

Anyway, enjoy your new journey !

5 Likes

Congratulations, man. Reading those success stories are really motivating.
And your story is similar to mine - i have worked as a bartender too and i am an Architect and Urban Planner (atm), working on becoming a front-end dev.

So your story is particularly very inspiring to me.

3 Likes

Amazing @sitek94! Congrats!

I like how you included your resources and didn’t focus on how long it took you :+1:

I have a question about the Justjavascript course, is it just the newsletter? If so, how much do I get out of it to call it a course? Just a question.

Keep on coding!
Best,
Cy499_Studios

4 Likes

That’s awesome, congratulations, I really liked the presentation it was an interesting and unique approach.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

@jwilkins.oboe Cool! Can’t wait to see the results :smiley:

@MyTrueName Junior Frontend Developer :slight_smile:

@nomnomcookie Do you mean how long since the very beginning or from the moment when I started applying? :smiley:

@Azed Just don’t make the same mistake that I did. When I was preparing for my first technical interview I was reading some interview questions and skipped a lot of them because they seemed so obvious to me. Like for example: What’s the difference between let and var. I completely ignored this question when preparing and when they asked me about it, I said something but it was so chaotic that I wished I’ve had actually rehearsed that question before. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that you don’t know the answers :slight_smile: I’m just saying that I’ve fallen for this trap of obvious questions :slight_smile:

@athos.franco123 Awesome, I think that working in a restaurant can be really helpful when it comes to social skills and working in a team, good luck :slight_smile:

@Cy499_Studios It’s a course in the form of newsletter. When you finish one module and its exercises you’re getting next email. I’m doing one module each working day to let this knowledge sink and I love it. One of the best resources to really get to know JavaScript imo :slight_smile:

@miketandy I’m glad that you liked it, thank you!

2 Likes

Please teach me to code.

I mean that you should be my personal guide leading me through the road of learning.
Please I sincerely request that you spare a little of your time for me please, I’m really desperate to learn coding, I couldn’t make it to university for there’s no money for that and coding happens to be the only most lucrative thing I could learn for free. Please help me as much as you can.

[PERSONAL INFORMATION REDACTED]

I’m from Badagary Lagos state, Nigeria.

2 Likes

I have removed your personal contact information from this post. The forum is indexed by Google, and posting personal information can result a lot of spam.

3 Likes

@sitek94
Congratulations on getting a job! Your portfolio website looks great.
How did you make your resume?

3 Likes

@Danielman first of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, why don’t you start doing freeCodeCamp curriculum? It’s free and there is an amazing community around it so when you struggle you can always ask for help here on the forum :slight_smile:

@brandon_wallace At first I wanted to use Photoshop but in the end I found it much quicker and easier to use HTML and CSS :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey @sitek94,

First of all, Congratulations on landing your first job!! You sir inspired me even more to just hang in there. :laughing: Great portfolio too. So awesome. :clap:

Once again Congratulations!!! :clap:

edit: I removed the question.

3 Likes

Amazing! I’ve been peeping at some of your work for inspiration and it’s really solid. Congrats from a fellow restaurant worker! Na Zdrowie!

2 Likes

Go with the freecodecamp curriculum, try some videos, I use/used colt steele’s. Never give up. Keep trying even if it feels like its getting boring or tiring. Make time for it and kill it. From Nigeria too

Hey Maciek,

I’m really happy for you!
You can be very proud of yourself.

Looking forward to hearing some of your dev life stories.

2 Likes

Congrats @sitek94 , I knew you were almost there when I had the chance to see some of your latest projects! :slight_smile:

Wish you all the best in your path :sparkles:

2 Likes

Congrats man! Thanks for sharing your tips.

2 Likes