How to always hide a div when the submit button is first clicked?

I want to permanently hide the <div class="show_hide" id="hide_this"> after pressing the submit button

<button class="frm_button_submit" id="toggle" type="submit" [button_action]>[button_label]</button>

<div class="show_hide" id="hide_this">

<label><input type="checkbox" name="rememberMe" value="true" tabindex="4"><i class="a-icon a-icon-checkbox"></i><span class="a-label a-checkbox-label">

Keep me signed in.

<span class="a-declarative" data-action="a-popover" data-a-popover="{&quot;activate&quot;:&quot;onclick&quot;,&quot;header&quot;:&quot;\&quot;Keep Me Signed In\&quot; Checkbox&quot;,&quot;inlineContent&quot;:&quot;\u003cp>Choosing \&quot;Keep me signed in\&quot; reduces the number of times you're asked to Sign-In on this device.\u003c\/p>\n\u003cp>To keep your account secure, use this option only on your personal devices.\u003c\/p>&quot;}">

<a id="remember_me_learn_more_link" href="javascript:void(0)" class="a-popover-trigger a-declarative">
Details

<i class="a-icon a-icon-popover"></i></a>

</span>

</span></label>

</div>

What do you mean by permanently? Should it say hidden even after the user refreshes the page?

Because if so you need some state storage. You can look at using localStorage.

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

I’m creating a multi-step form, what I mean when the user skips the first step, the div disappears

Attach an event listener to the button, grab the element you want to hide, set its style to display: none when the button is clicked.

<button id="toggle">Submit</button>
<div id="hideOnSubmit">Hide me</div>
document.querySelector("#toggle").addEventListener("click", () => {
  elementToHide.style.display = "none";
});

Or use a CSS class (same HTML as before).

.hide {
  display: none;
}
  elementToHide.classList.add("hide");
});

Edit: It would help if you post the code you are using for the form so we know more about the context the code runs in.

I did what you said and the div didn’t disappear

<div class="frm_submit">
[if back_button]<button type="submit" name="frm_prev_page" formnovalidate="formnovalidate" class="frm_prev_page" [back_hook]>[back_label]</button>[/if back_button]
<button class="frm_button_submit" type="submit" id="toggle" [button_action]>[button_label]</button>
<div id="hideOnSubmit">
<label><input type="checkbox" name="rememberMe" value="true" tabindex="4"><i class="a-icon a-icon-checkbox"></i><span class="a-label a-checkbox-label">
          Keep me signed in.
          <span class="a-declarative" data-action="a-popover" data-a-popover="{&quot;activate&quot;:&quot;onclick&quot;,&quot;header&quot;:&quot;\&quot;Keep Me Signed In\&quot; Checkbox&quot;,&quot;inlineContent&quot;:&quot;\u003cp>Choosing \&quot;Keep me signed in\&quot; reduces the number of times you're asked to Sign-In on this device.\u003c\/p>\n\u003cp>To keep your account secure, use this option only on your personal devices.\u003c\/p>&quot;}">
            <a id="remember_me_learn_more_link" href="javascript:void(0)" class="a-popover-trigger a-declarative">
              Details
          </span>
</span></label>
</div>
[if save_draft]<a href="#" tabindex="0" class="frm_save_draft" [draft_hook]>[draft_label]</a>[/if save_draft]
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">
document.querySelectorAll('.frm_prev_page').forEach(function(a){
a.remove()
})

});
</script>

You do not have the elementToHide element.

I wasn’t really expecting you to just copy-paste the code, although I did seem to forget to add the selector for the element, so sorry for that.

const elementToHide = document.querySelector("#hideOnSubmit");

});

It disappears in the first step, but returns in the second step

<div class="frm_submit">
[if back_button]<button type="submit" name="frm_prev_page" formnovalidate="formnovalidate" class="frm_prev_page" [back_hook]>[back_label]</button>[/if back_button]
<button class="frm_button_submit" type="submit" id="toggle" [button_action]>[button_label]</button>
<div class="frm_button_submitt" id="hideOnSubmit">
          Keep me signed in.
              Details
          </span>
</span></label>
</div>
[if save_draft]<a href="#" tabindex="0" class="frm_save_draft" [draft_hook]>[draft_label]</a>[/if save_draft]
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">
document.querySelectorAll('.frm_prev_page').forEach(function(a){
a.remove()
})

const elementToHide = document.querySelector("#hideOnSubmit");

});
</script>

You have to post all your code.

Obviously it will not stay hidden for the next form if that is made out of new HTML. I have no idea how you are constructing each step but you will have to account for the state from the first step.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.