I attend bootcamp but I don't think I am job-ready

Hello, I’m Kay. I started to code around august 2021 from local Bootcamp (html, css, javascript, and reactJS framework), and as you can see I don’t really think I can apply even for an entry-level job just because I feel like I’m not good enough.
every job I applied for ask me to do hackerrank test, and honestly it is still really hard for me.
is this normal? or am I just unfit in this industry? but I will keep practicing my DSA until I can ace the test, wish me luck
(I also looking for code buddy! feel free to contact me!)

Hello there,
It’s normal in the Tech industry to doubt yourself on what you are capable of doing. Even the developers with 10+ years of experience need to do google searches on a frequent basis.
Programming is a challenging thing to do, you will learn new things daily so no one knows everything. Keep on sharpening your skills and you will definitely get the job.
Regarding code buddy, I would like to suggest you join Twitter and start the #100DaysOfCode challenge. There are many people learning and sharing their knowledge daily. You can also get job opportunities through Twitter.

Good Luck!

1 Like

HI @scskar !

Most bootcamps barely cover data structures and algorithm type questions.
They spend most of their time teaching the latest javascript libraries and frameworks.
A lot of people from bootcamp or self taught backgrounds struggle with these types of questions.

I would keep working through leetcode and hackerrank questions to get more familiar with them.
Once you do enough of these types of problems you will start to see a pattern and it will in some case become easier to solve.

But the most important thing in an interview is to keep talking through your thought process.
Before you code anything, first think about the problem and articulate to the interviewer what your approach will be.
And if you are way off, then they will probably be nice enough and help to nudge you in the right direction.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Software development isn’t an innate skill; it’s a learned one. As far as I’m concerned, the only thing that would make you a poor fit for the industry is if you don’t like doing it, or if you hit the point where you feel like continuing is too much work relative to the rewards.

Not all employers use automated testing systems like Hackerrank, but all will have some sort of technical skills assessment. You can study and practice for interviews and tests, but I also strongly recommend spending some of your time building a project or projects that are complex, ongoing, and interesting to you. That level of working with a technology day after day through months of planning, development, testing, refactoring, and enhancement is a big differentiator for potential new hires. (And I’m not talking about tutorial or course projects. Those are easy to spot.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.