I think I'm gonna quit

I felt the same thing, when i was working on a project for my company, although I am not a full web developer, i am learning step by step, i spent 4 days trying to figure things out, until i found out what i was doing wrong. 4 days in a piece of code until i figured it out, and then move on the next part, resiliency, patience, and desire to learn are the key. Don’t give up.

2 Likes

Also, someone gave me another great resource for learning, a cheatsheet!

12 Likes

I haven’t seen this yet, thank you.

1 Like

You are one of a kind. i found myself in same boat as the guy and you just solved the puzzle. Thank uou for coming out real.

I think the answer to “taking a break” is:

1. No longer than a weekend (two days, even if it isn’t a weekend).
  2. Try working on something else instead of the thing that has you slamming your head against the wall. Stuck on a problem in FCC? Try CS50, or do a Kyu 8 challenge on codewars.

Personally, I got a little demotivated by a problem recently, and yesterday I went to my local FCC meetup. Explaining what I was doing verbally to other campers jiggled me loose where I was “stuck.” One solution came from me explaining how I could handle an assumption (edge case) I had purposely ignored, and the other came from an employed camper who was one of the hosts asking, “why can’t you just use an svg?,” and me replying, “instead of the div I’m currently using?” I googled the right thing, found a tutorial immediately, and groaned because of my previous tunnel vision. Working with other human beings at fixed periods (even over video chat/screen sharing) can be such a huge boost to productivity and motivation.

1 Like

Your first point is exactly what rubber duck debugging is for
It should be more widely publicised

1 Like

That is exactly what I did. I was able to finish the Javascript section and half of front end libraries section. But when React was introduced I understood that I just lack basic CT education. So, I took CS50. It is really hard and demanding. I even had to take a month break to read a book on C programming language because I couldn’t finish homework. But after CS50 I learn faster, essentials are important. Very good piece of advice!

2 Likes

Today I learned a new term. I wonder if “cat debugging” would work, or whether the target audience would just kinda wander off mid-explanation?

Well, running behind the cat would work as “doing something else” so that your brain would have time to elaborate the problem subconsciously XD

1 Like

If you quit, you will just have to start something new and if it pays well it will be hard also. Will you quit the next thing and the next?

“Do what is easy and your life will be hard. Do what is hard and your life will be easy” - Jim Rohn.

1 Like

As you can see, many of us have been there.

Algorithms are painful until it makes sense. I was saved by a fellow camper and JavaScript hero, Stephen Maueux, who actually explains them very well - turning JS into English.

See if this or any other of his videos help:

I did survive to get my legacy front-end cert. You can do this!

1 Like

I understand, Javascript is my great weakness since I started studying programming in 2009, although with a lot of perseverance with all the videos, courses, classes (youtube, udemy, FCC, etc)… I could not understand the algorithms and POO, I have thought many times of retiring of the item.

I couldnt understand the POO.

Sometimes I think to leave the area of work.

You’re not only with the frustration with POO.

I agree coding is hard but if you proceed with it, you can become professional

Don’t quit man, I’m in the intermediate JS algorithm section as well and I don’t quit but it takes me a couple of days sometimes to solve and what I do with the hints is resize the browser real tight height-wise so I only see 1 hint at a time, see the first one and see where that tales me and so forth, when I need a little help I hint it this way.

Give it your all dude, otherwise you’ll always wonder what would’ve happened had you pushed through. I think everyone struggles with different parts of FCC.

2 Likes

I feel your pain… after 3 years I am still struggling with javascript :frowning:. Sometime I feel like coding is not for me. I love art… I wish that I followed that road long ago. I am a bit too old to change all the time so I either stick out or just go back to work as a nurse. I think I am going to stick out and study more while working as a nurse… Lately I also picking up Adobe Creative Cloud and did some projects on Illustrator. I love it though. Maybe, Web Designing is more for me instead of Web Developing. I got to continue though eventhough i am very down lately. Just tough it out and keep your head up. Sometime, you have to cheat a bit by seeking for help and sometime the solution is your help.
In real world, few companies I did temp for told me that do not sit on a problem more than 20 minutes. You got to go seek for help after 20 minutes you couldnt figured it out. But when you seek for help too much can make you look bad to your boss and also get you a bad review when time come. Yah, kinda stink.

2 Likes

wow, a 20 minutes rule.
I’ll borrow this.
Thank you

1 Like

So here is what I have learned. JavaScript is hard, what FCC gives is just not enough for me. I had to jump on to YouTube, frontend masters, Kyle Simpson’s books to really grasp how it works.

But here is the thing… you will use your for loop, and while loops, and such. But in a developer role this is not what you do every day. There’s more to JavaScript than the algorithms. You still have objects, constructors, ALOT more.

I did the lessons and moved on, while I am learning React I have gone back and covered some of these algorithms in pieces to really get the grasp of it. That way my learning never stops, but I am still doing what I need.

The thing here is this. I have had interviews where they gave me an algorithm, and what surprised me??? They want you to succeed. Interview for the most part will help, guide, allow you to look things up for interviews. And interview for a junior or midlevel job is very different than and interview at Google for a senior roll with 10 years of experience.

Learn how to use google and everything will be fine!

1 Like

@kenvng, If you like design a bit more than web development you might be interested in UX as well. Every website should be build for the users. But understanding what users need on the internet isn’t easy.

It’s not so different from nursing. Nursing is about patients needs and about observing human behaviour. I used to be a nurse and I find that UX and nursing use the same skills, different context though.

I’m studying both UX and Front End. The UX part I’m doing on the IDF platform.

Cheap, high quality and lots to learn. It’s a Danish institute, the oldest when it comes to teaching UX.

With UX you might find a different path to website development and it might also help to keep you motivated to learn how to deal with javascript.

1 Like

Quitting is not an option
You should try harder

1 Like

like finding 1000 ways not to make a light bulb

1 Like