If statements and functions

Does anybody have some advice of organizing multiple if statements in a function? Something we should know as beginners?
Thank you.

1 Like

If you have a lengthy if/else block then a switch statement might be a viable alternative.

You might also break parts of the logic into different functions. You might also be able to use an object/dictionary approach. Do you have an example?

Sounds like something i will study further in freecodecamp so iā€™ll let it come to me later in the course. I donā€™t want to jump into conclusion of how the switch works now and get mixed up as the definition above looks a little long to understand.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, I think is just one lesson on switch statements.

If you are at the very beginning of the javascript lessons then it is probably coming up.

2 Likes

I noticed when studying the greater than and less than operators, that if statements in multiple if statement function, with higher number comparison are written first when the greater than > operator is used then lower comparisons come next. However when the less than < operator is used the if statements with lower numbers i want to compare the argument to are first then the lower comparison come next until the minimum number where i write this line: return " numberX or under";
So what is i want to used both operators, how to avoid misunderstanding my code or for it nor to work.

Iā€™m not sure what you are saying.

When using chained if/else, there is no rule that the greater than operator has to be first. It really just depends on what you are trying to do.

It sounds like you are getting a little ahead of yourself. I like that youā€™re already thinking about keeping the code clean, but as you learn you will get more tools to help you do that.

1 Like

Here is an exemple :

Function test(val) {
If (val > 100){
      Return 'greater than 100';
}
If (val > 50) {
     Return 'greater than 50';
}
Return ' 50 or less';
}
Test(101);

So this exemple above if i switch the first if statment in line with the second one, the function call will return ā€™ greater then 50ā€™ but i wonā€™t know if it is greater then 100.( If i didnā€™t know the argument is 101).
This something i observed and then i worried after i finish the javascript course if write some code in the future what advice should i need? What should i know in advance.

Same problem should occur in this exemple of less than operator.

Function test2(val) {
If (val < 50){
      Return 'greater than 100';
}
If (val < 100) {
     Return 'greater than 50';
}
Return ' 100 or more';
}

Right, but the inverse of > is not < but is <=. Here is an example:

function test1(val) {
  if (val > 100){
    return 'greater than 100';
  }
  if (val > 50) {
    return 'greater than 50';
  }
  return '50 or less';
}

function test2(val) {
  if (val <= 50){
    return '50 or less';
  }
  if (val <= 100) {
  }
}

for (let i = 0; i <= 110; i++) {
  if (test1(i) === test2(i)) {
    console.log('For', i, ', they match!')
  } else {
    console.log('For', i, ', they don\'t match!!! What went wrong?')
  }
}

In this, func1 is what you had before, and func2 is the reversed logic. The for loop just confirms that they both work the same.

Iā€™ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the ā€œpreformatted textā€ tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (ā€™).

1 Like

this is useful.
why do i think that the for loop will find that they will match only if the second if statement in each function is executed ( since both would return 'greater than 50) otherwise I donā€™t understand the for loops yet since Iā€™m not in the loops level of freecodecamp course? but opened my eye to something new too.

OK, then donā€™t worry about the for loop. All it is doing is testing if the two functions return the same value for every number from 0 to 110.

1 Like

basically, I do not have any problem understanding the if statements, it is just that I observed that the code is executed in order from top to down and thought if i did this :

function test2(val) { 
   if (val <=100) {
  }
  if (val <= 50){ /*here if the val is greater than or equal to 100, this won't be executed, and I won't know if it is less than or equal to 50.  so this if statement should be first.*/
    return '50 or less';
  }

}

it will return ā€˜greater than 100ā€™ and the second if statement wonā€™t be executed and i wonā€™t know if the argument number i gave to the function is greater or equal to 50 as well, you see what i mean? it is better when the if statements are organized. just what i am saying.

Itā€™s just the logic of it. Visually work through your function. What if it is passed the values 100, 75, 50, or 25? I think specifically the last one should be of interest.

1 Like

but thanx for reacting to different aspects of my observation and examples, you introduced to the for loop very well, it looked like a math problem ive seen back in school.
this forum is fun.

1 Like

When it comes to planning out your conditional logic (if/elses), drawing out a flowchart is really really helpful.

3 Likes

just one last thing, may I know how did you know that the inverse of > is <= and not < ?
is it something they teach in coding schools? or you learned it by coincidence?

I donā€™t know, itā€™s just sort of a logic thing. I mean, you have to account for that = somehow. Iā€™m sure there is some number theory reason and some mathematical proof. I donā€™t know, maybe I learned it at some point. Or maybe I just learned it through experience.

Itā€™s easy to test - just pick values for x and y and compare <, >, <=, and >=.

2 Likes

If I tell you to write down every number thatā€™s greater than 5, you have 6, 7, 8, 9,ā€¦

The ā€˜oppositeā€™ of that list would be 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,ā€¦

Those are numbers less than or equal to 5.

Nothing magic or special logic. Itā€™s looking at what > means.

3 Likes

There are little ā€œtricksā€ like this. Some of us learned them in school. Some of us learned them by trial and error. You donā€™t have to be a mathematical genius to be a good programmer (for most coding jobs), but it is helpful to develop low level, practical knowledge like this, little tricks and understandings. But donā€™t be alarmed if they arenā€™t all immediately obvious - you will collect them over time.

2 Likes