I'm taking much longer than the estimated time on each section

I'm taking much longer than the estimated time on each section

Let me start with the fact that I have almost zero coding experience prior to this other than a bit of HTML. I’m at the end of basic JavaScript. The estimated time for that section is 10 hours, I have easily spent over 4 on just one challenge trying to fully understand it and figure it out with research. Is this normal or is this more of an individual ability thing? Should I just not worry so much about understanding every line of code? I’m getting pretty discouraged even though I’ve been fighting through for about two months now, advice on free resources that can help supplement? Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Thanks everyone, I spent the whole day on it and I finished that section! I’ll look into the other resources as suggested as well. I guess I’ll just have to keep working at it and hope that eventually I will have enough tools to utilize for projects in the future!

There’s an old joke - “What do you call the guy that graduates at the bottom of his class at medical school? You call him ‘doctor’”.

Who cares how long it takes. Maybe you’re just learning it better? Maybe this part is harder but other parts will be easier. I’m sure there are more than a few people that race through and end up having to go back. If you get really, really, really stumped, there are web pages and youtube videos that specifically address specific fCC challenges. Obviously that should be a last resort. If you must, I’d watch the video without coding it, then try to recreate it from memory. The important thing is that you learn the concept.

That being said, the fCC training is not really comprehensive and I’ve had to do some outside research.

As to other resources, and JS book would probably be a good place to start. There are thousands of youtube videos on various topics. And if you have a specific question, ask it here.

You’re doing what you can do. Why worry? Everyone moves at their own pace. I joined about two years ago and haven’t bothered to finish so I’m technically hundreds of hours behind.

Advice on free resources that can help supplement?

Other than FCC, try reading MDN JavaScript Guide, W3schools JS, Javascript Fundamentals…etc.

I bet you know how to find such or similar resources or you’re already doing just so. The tip is, don’t rely on one source or another. If you don’t understand one concept using FCC, try reading it from another source or research a bit about it.

Is this normal or is this more of an individual ability thing?

That’s normal. There is no fixed time to measure someone’s rate of understanding. Everyone got its own.
By time, you will become more experienced and understanding programming conpects will be less taxing.

Slow progress is progress, no matter how small it is.
Goodluck.