Stuck on a challenge but

… But I am determined to solve it without asking for any solutions or Googling answers!

Just want to ask you guys, when you get stuck on a challenge, how much time do you give yourself to complete it and ponder the solution before resorting to looking at additional learning resources like books/websites/forum posts? Due to the self directed nature of studying on FCC it can be sometimes hard to resist the temptation to cheat your way through. But the feeling of having completed a challenge or project knowing you did it all on your own is way beyond satisfying.

I’m barely getting the basics of JavaScript down. FCC module says 10+ hours but so far its taken me 4x as long and I’m nowhere near finishing. But I’d rather digest the information slowly and thoroughly dissect everything I’m learning rather than blaze through without allowing anything to sink in.

What’s the longest you’ve ever spent on a FCC challenge/project?

If you completely understand the problem and you have tried your hardest to figure it out, I don’t think there is anything wrong with looking elsewhere for a solution. I do it all the time. I just make sure that I fully understand the solution as well. You’re going to have to reference examples anyway to learn a lot of the new concepts.

I feel like I cruised through all the projects up until the force diagram in the d3 section. Something about it was just really hard for me to understand. I read through the docs 3 or 4 times trying to make sense of it all and looked at countless examples for days, and then it finally just clicked.

2 Likes

Looking up the answer elsewhere is not cheating.

I’ve been at the Voting App since December (parked it now) but I didn’t do the React challenges so it was a bit of a leap. The guy I was paired with convinced me to try it.