Invested in my future

Currently, unemployed! I live in an area where developer jobs are plentiful… so is the competition. I decided to reach out on the FCC forum for advice, suggestions and opinions :open_mouth: in regards to my present career status. With that being said, I’m coming out of a 14 years career from another industry. Prior to that career, all my interests/passions seemed to center around, programming. I have a broad palette of experience with programming, ranging from low level hardware interface, high-precision timing operations, assembly language / optimization and state machine logic all the way through to object oriented programming, higher level languages, including Java, JavaScript, Python, C/C++ and… many sleepless nights of disassembly, debugging… more coffee. Logic, and the purity of mathematics have always amazed me. The abstract insights behind mathematical properties really go so much deeper than their real world applications.

I’ve got these projects left to do in the following FCC areas:

• Responsive Web Design (last 4 projects left)
  • Intermediate Algorithms Scripting (last 6-7)
  • JavaScript Algorithms and data structures (3 left)
  • Front End Libraries Cert (all final projects)
  • Data Visualization Cert (all final projects)

The last 3, I’ve opted to focus on sparingly, until the previous list is finished to completion

• APIs And Microservices Certifications
  • Information Security And Quality Assurance Certification
  • Coding Interview Prep (1000s of challenges)

I foresee, likely having the first list completed by the end of the year. I really do enjoy the coding challenges, and will be diving into the Coding Interview Prep questions as time permits… ad infinitum.

Any advice on employment?

1 Like

Regarding your interests and experience i think you are not going to have any problems getting into the software development industry. If you are chasing a web development work, than the only advice i can give you is to finish those front end projects.

I too came from Java (University) and working as a .net core dev, but doing fCC in my spare time and i can’t give enough advice how front end is important to know and it’s not easy to get into as a back end / oop dev.

Besides this, one more advice i can give is to aim as a fullstack. Get good at the JS stack and explore other stacks. Theres nothing wrong exploring but be careful taking the road of being good at “n” stacks but master at none.

Hope it helps,
Happy coding!

P.S.: Forgot to mention, Databases, databases, don’t forget this!

2 Likes

Absolutely, seems like a slow start for the projects. Though, once I get my template worked out, the other projects will finish quickly. Cobbling together something that just passes was not my intention, being that I plan to hang these on the website once that is up.

That has been my approach. I’ve been taking detailed categorized notes on all the specific technologies and filling out information associated to each based on my personal experiences, ideas, code snippets, research, future thoughts etc. I only focus on one specific area at a time and spend more time reading references than anything. I can fill my head, all while filling a .txt file for later! In concerns to front end projects, I’m really taking the extra time to ensure that my designs and design process logic clearly parallels with the best practices of today. It has lead to a slower; surer start.

I appreciate your advice! Thank you. I know my resume will grow and build and I am posting it today. It feels like, the last 14 years of my life went up in flames. The take-away is that I didn’t get burned out on what I really enjoy. Now that I am older and wiser, that is very meaningful to me.

I’m confident, that once i get one or two solid projects going on github and build enough momentum to contribute, to a wonderful, creative and collaborative world-wide community of people, that success is eminent!

Yes, that’s the spirit. fCC is a great learning resource but the true learning process will commence when you start working in your own app, from the front to the back. When it’s done, document your code, push it to the github and write the lessons learnt.

I’d say beyond your technical aptitude, also leverage your previous career experience. Be it industry knowledge, network, or just soft-skills you honed in those 14 year, all can be just as valuable to an employer as you technical ability