Is it bad to be looking up the answers to basic algorithms?

For each one I seem to get about 70 to 90% of the way there (with a couple needing no help). I’m not sure if I’m cheating the program by filling the details through the FCC articles on medium or not. I do try to really memorize the specific sticking points each time and feel i am getting better.

What is everyone’s take on this? Is it better to force one’s self to get the answer without the help of the FCC answers? Or is getting close and then reviewing enough preparation for the harder challenges ahead?

If by reading and looking up for answers you learn new things, why not :smiley:

@CMmz I know it can be tempting to want to go it alone, but I would recommend asking for help in the chat room before looking at the answer. Most people in the chat will help guide you to the right answer without giving you the right answer. When I’m stuck I go the following route:

• Read about the concept on MDN
  • Read questions and answers on Stack Overflow
  • Ask in the chat
  • Try a bunch of times
  • Look at the answer

Take it for what you will, but I think it’s good practice.

1 Like

My feeling is, the faster you can solve a problem the better. Looking up is legitimate, as long as you understand what you’re doing, i.e., you are not deploying code that might not be what you require.

You need to ensure you don’t get to use to peeking at solutions. When you are on the job, you might not find a solution on StackOverflow or Googling. So, you need to develop your problem solving and troubleshooting skills.

2 Likes

I really see no issue looking up the answers. As long as you learn from it. I find it better to be in a position to ask yourself when you’re stuck in a programming problem, “what code is it again?” rather than “is it even possible?”. As a programmer, I hope you know the difference.

It also helps to understand and learn different methods by different people.

I learned a lot from looking up, and we’re not doing life-threatening work like doctors do. Just imagine you see a doctor operating someone while looking up answers on Google. :dizzy_face::dizzy_face: