Is there anywhere to find reviews/ratings for Tech Recruiters/Staffing Companies?

I’ve always found hunting for jobs in the tech industry to be very strange. I’ll receive messages from a lot of recruiters and find the communication extremely bizarre sometimes.

I’ll try to research some random company that is trying to offer me some job from a reputable company for a contract gig, and then I can’t find anything about them. No reviews, no ratings, nothing.

Wondering if anyone else has had this experience? I’ve communicated with every time of recruiter there is in tech. Some seem genuinely great, and others can be very pushy and rude.

Just thought it would be cool to create something that was a ratings database or review site specifically for the best agencies for remote work, good contracts that don’t screw developers over, etc.

1 Like

I can relate.

Rate my recruiter, sounds cool.

A email extension to show rating, and trash if below threshold would also be cool.

The only things that come to mind are glassdoor and good ol linkedin

There might be other ones out there I never heard about, but being more well known and popular should mean most companies/agencies have a presence there in some form or another.

I’ve noticed that many of the ‘easy apply’ jobs on Linkedin are posted by recruiting agencies that use them to collect resumes.

One trick they do is mark their job posting as a ‘full-time’ position, then in small text within the post it will say: 3 month contract-to-hire (or some other short contract).

This is really causing the legit jobs to be buried on Linkedin, and extremely hard to find with all of the duplicate staffing company postings. Linkedin doesn’t do anything about it either. Pretty frustrating.

Put up your resume on CareerBuilder. Use a unique email address so you can track it over time.

Anyone who sends any mail to that address is wasting your time. Put them in a filter so if they ever get your real address, you know to toss those contacts.

Need proof? Read my blog about an experiment to see which job boards generated the worst junk contacts.

“I’ll try to research some random company that is trying to offer me some job from a reputable company for a contract gig, and then I can’t find anything about them. No reviews, no ratings, nothing.”

If they’re not local, tell them to take a hike. They’re wasting your time.

If they do not have an office in your city with biz dev people, they’re not building relationships with the actual people doing the hiring. They’re getting the contract info from open pools by those companies and are throwing as many resumes at them as possible hoping one gets through the huge stack.

If they have no rep, round-file them.