Issue w/ Building a City Skyline, Step 40

So… in this step, freeCodeCamp asks me to;

Step 40

Gradients in CSS are a way to transition between colors across the distance of an element. They are applied to the background property and the syntax looks like this:

gradient-type(
  color1,
  color2
);

In the example, color1 is solid at the top, color2 is solid at the bottom, and in between it transitions evenly from one to the next. In .bb1a, add a gradient of type linear-gradient to the background property with --building-color1 as the first color and --window-color1 as the second.

So, I edited the .bb1a to this;

.bb1a {
  width: 70%;
  height: 10%;
  background-color: var(--building-color1);
  background: linear-gradient(
  var(-–building-color1),     
  var(-–window-color1)
  );
}

But I am still getting the response;

Test

Sorry, your code does not pass. Keep trying.
Hint

You should apply a background to .bb1a.

I’ve taken a long minute on this and I think my code is OK; is it not? Any suggestions??? I love this stuff, but hate when I get caught up and can’t continue… ugh. :stuck_out_tongue:

Paul Allen

Hey @PaulAllen, I answered this in another post but maybe you didn’t see that one?

Those double dashes are not proper ascii dashes. They are some weird characters that look like dashes. You want to make sure you are using the dashes that are in the background-color.

hmmm - i actually re-wrote it, but… will make sure its all UTF-8.

thanks for [all your] the replies!!

Hi there,

I got a similar reply when I put in the following:
.bb1a {
width: 70%;
height: 10%;
background-color: var(–building-color1);
background: linear-gradient (–building-color1, --window-color1);
}

I’m not sure either and have checked my code several times.

hi, do you have your own Ask For Help topic opened?
If yes I can take a look but if not, please open one as we need everyone to create their own topics instead of putting comments on old topics.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.