JavaScript confusion

Hi, i’m new to JavaScript and i don’ t get what and how to do at here. Can somebody help?

(Directions of it: You start with an updateRecords function that takes an object literal, records , containing the musical album collection, an id , a prop (like artist or tracks ), and a value . Complete the function using the rules below to modify the object passed to the function.

• Your function must always return the entire record collection object.
  • If prop isn’t tracks and value isn’t an empty string, update or set that album’s prop to value .
  • If prop is tracks but the album doesn’t have a tracks property, create an empty array and add value to it.
  • If prop is tracks and value isn’t an empty string, add value to the end of the album’s existing tracks array.
  • If value is an empty string, delete the given prop property from the album.

Note: A copy of the recordCollection object is used for the tests.)

// Setup

var recordCollection = {

2548: {

albumTitle: 'Slippery When Wet',

artist: 'Bon Jovi',

tracks: ['Let It Rock', 'You Give Love a Bad Name']

},

2468: {

albumTitle: '1999',

artist: 'Prince',

tracks: ['1999', 'Little Red Corvette']

},

1245: {

albumTitle: 'Riptide',

artist: 'Robert Palmer',

tracks: ['Addicted to Love']

},

5439: {

albumTitle: 'ABBA Gold'

}

};

// Only change code below this line

function updateRecords(records, id, prop, value) {

return records;

}

updateRecords(recordCollection, 5439, 'artist', 'ABBA');

It doesn’t look like you’ve tried anything yet. It makes it much easier for everyone if you’ve tried something first.

Where are you stuck? What have you tried?

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

I didn’ t understand what and how to write there

Write there? You don’t need to write anything in the variable recordCollection. It is already written.

How am i gonna solve the code than?
Sorry, i’ m tired

In order to solve the challenge, you need to fill in the updateRecords() function with logic that meets the requirements.

Do you have questions about the requirements?

Do you have something that we can clarify?

We’re more than happy to help, but it doesn’t do you any good for us to just tell you what to do. We need you to start somewhere. Anywhere really. We need some more specific questions about what you need help with.

Start with the first condition here

Try to slowly translate that sentence into code.
Even if your attempt is incorrect please show us your code so we can help guide you in the right direction.
Once you figure out that first condition, then try to work on the next one.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.