Javascript es6?

Ok so made it through the basic javascript section. It seemed like I understood most of it except for maybe some recursion stuff but started working on the es6 section and now it seems like I am trying to read words in a different language. I don’t even get what some of the explanations are trying to say or what I need to do for the exercises. Was wondering did I miss something? should I go back through the basics again or maybe try a few other beginner sources for learning javascript? If so any suggestions?

There’s going to be several times where it feels like the learning curve steepens. The more you know, the more the work of learning shifts onto you.

Read the challenges carefully, look at the requirements and starter code, then read the challenge description carefully again.

Search for unfamiliar terms or for longer/different explanations of new concepts. Then come back and see how much more you are able to understand.

Learn through experimentation. Try stuff and see what happens. connect interactive engagement with the information that you’ve read.

If you get stuck, come ask for help. You can ask about a particular part of an explanation that doesn’t make sense to you. You can show us where you got stuck or ask why your code is behaving differently than expected. You can bounce ideas off of us. We’re here to help.

Read. Search. Ask. Repeat.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s a tough one for most people, don’t feel bad.

and now it seems like I am trying to read words in a different language. I don’t even get what some of the explanations are trying to say or what I need to do for the exercises.

Yeah, follow ArielLeslies sage advice.

I will add that (at least a while back) I thought the ES6 section was one of the more confusing sections. The good thing about ES6 is that it is a lot of little chunks of ideas that can be learned separately and they don’t depend on each other. But a lot of people were/are in the same shoes as you so there will be a lot of material out there - I suspect that there are several good youtube videos, some of them probably published by FCC.

The ES6 section is a bit problematic. It’s a bit better now but still maybe not super great (I might just be expressing my own opinion here though).

I will also say that, in my opinion, with ES6 it became much more obvious that JS was in fact created (a bit sneakily) with the idea of being able to write code using a more functional type programming style. The older syntax looks a lot more traditional and the switch to the ES6 style and some of the concepts introduced can seem very foreign when switching.

It also allows for some overly concise code that can become extremely hard to read if you are not used to reading that type of code. It can be misused to write fewer lines of code that simply puts too much strain on the reader (yeah it fits in one line, but nobody can read it).

Didn’t really watch these but I’m guessing they might have some useful info.