Javascript problem solve

I’ve been trying solve this issue and try to understand why console prints v as 1 instead of 2? Can someone explain to me why this happens?

const Hello = () => {
  const [v, setV] = React.useState(1);

React.useEffect(() => {
    setTimeout(async () => {
      await setV(2);
      doSomethingWithData(v);
    }, 3000);
  }, []);

return (
    <div>
      <h1>Hello, world {v}!</h1>
    </div>
  );
};

const doSomethingWithData = (v) => {
  //report e-commerce data to our server here..

console.log("Variable value is: " + v);
};

ReactDOM.render(<Hello />, document.getElementById("root"));

While the useState behavior is asynchronous, i don’t believe it returns a promise for you to await.

The workaround you might consider is useEffect. If you create a useEffect with one dependency, [v], it will trigger every time the useState setter updates that value.

1 Like

The setter function doesn’t return a promise, async await isn’t going to do anything as @snowmonkey says

But look at the logic.

• component function runs with initial value of v, which is 1.
  • v is set to 2, next time the component renders, v will be 2.
  • console log the value of v, which is 1.
  • component function runs again because state of v has changed.
  • useEffect doesn’t run again because you’ve only told it to run on first render, so no second log
setV(2);
doSomethingWithData(v)

Given that you know the value that v is being set to, why are you not passing that value into the doSomethingWithData function? Because instead, your logic is:

• pass some value (2) into the function that sets v
  • hope that that function has finished setting v to 2 so you can use the new value of v (it hasn’t, because setting state causes the component function to rerun so that the value can update, and you can’t preemptively get the return value from a function without running the function, that doesn’t make sense).
  • pass the new value of v, which you’re hoping is 2, which you already had in the first place, to the doSomethingWithData function
2 Likes

Not sure I understand the example code. Can you provide some more context about what it is you are trying to achieve here?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.