JS Course Recommendations

Hi all,
Does anyone have any good recommendations for JS courses they have done or are doing, suitable for learners.
This is a question no doubt regularly asked but new courses come out all the time so I will not go on an old recommendation in case something better has popped up.
They could be free or paid. I am currently finding youtube tutorials to be my most effective learning aid and will probably end up buying net ninjas modern javascript course, part of which is free on youtube.
However I need all the help I can get so would be greatfull for any suggestions as it is not coming naturally to me.
Thanks

JavaScript30 is worth checking out if you havenā€™t. Itā€™s mainly practical use of JS and not language fundamentals. TraversyMedia has a lot of good videos as well and the fCC youtube channel has tons of videos (JavaScript Programming - Full Course).

2 Likes

Thanks,
I will definately check out JavaScript30. One of the things that is making JS difficult is that unlike HTML /CSS you canā€™t instantly see the purpose or result of what you are learning.
While I can just about write a basic function, conditional or loop I cannot yet do anything useful with them.
TraveryMedia is also quite good, I have watched some of his stuff.

1 Like

I am moving through the JavaScript class like itā€™s molasses! It is so daunting. I have been doing the Intro to JS on Scrimba and finding it useful. I like the interactive casts, and the whole course consists of building projects step-by-step. I find that when I hop over there and work on a project for a while, I come back to the FCC course with fresh eyes and can actually gain some momentum. Until I hit another speed bump.
This post is from a few weeks ago. How far along are you in the course? Did you find any outside resources that were helpful?

hi,

I share your feelings completely re javascript. Finding it horrible to learn. I have looked at courses from FCC, w3schools, Odin Project, Codecademy, solo learn etc. To be honest I donā€™t much like any of them.

FCC goes from very easy to very hard in about 5 minutes, have you got to the record collection question yet? I basically stopped soon after there realising youtube is a better place for me to learn. I donā€™t actually like FCC youtube stuff or more accurately I like others more

I am learning the most from net ninja(modern javascript) and he has other js courses too. Also I like EJ media as well. I am finding them easier to learn from then online courses which often write half the code for you leaving you to fill in the blanks. I think I need to write all the code if I am going to understand and remember it.

I also think a few sentences canā€™t explain complex js stuff well enough where as a youtube tutorial can go into more detail. Also the way the FCC and other courses words things often leaves me not knowing what they are even asking.

Just beginning to learn basics of manipulating the DOM but having some issues with code not working eg getElementById works getElementsByClassName doesnā€™t. Has me baffled and irritated at the mo so taking a break.

I wish you good luck in finding the best place to learn for you.

1 Like

Programming is hard. Learning programming is hard. But weā€™re here to help.

In my experience, learners improve much faster when they struggle through the problems, ask lots of questions here on the forum, and make breakthroughs in understanding. I havenā€™t seen great success when learners primarily watch and type along with YouTube videos of others solving problems, but YMMV. Tutorial Hell is real.

Great point, totally agree with you

Most of the fCC videos are curated from other content creators so I donā€™t think there is really a ā€œtypeā€ to the videos. A few of them are from well-known content creators but Iā€™m sure most of them prefer not to give their content away for ā€œfreeā€ (i.e. no ad revenue).

Not sure if or how the content creators benefit from having their videos on the fCC YouTube channel other than the exposure they get, which can be huge for new creators but Iā€™m guessing maybe not so much for the well-known content creators.

But as you said there are so many different resources so finding the one you like is important.

There is definitely no one-stop-shop resource when it comes to learning as much as you have to when it comes to full-stack web development. Just wait until you get to the frameworks, backend stuff, and toolchains, then your head really starts to get cramped with information.

Just an FYI, the two do not return the same thing. getElementsByClassName returns a HTMLCollection (array like structure).

<h2 id="heading">Heading</h2>

<p class="text">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipisicing elit. Tempora totam amet distinctio ab recusandae. Nihil autem nemo aliquam hic impedit molestias quo blanditiis? Laudantium voluptate tempora laboriosam veritatis. Ex, at.</p>
const heading = document.getElementById('heading')
const text = document.getElementsByClassName('text')

console.log(heading)
console.log(text)

console.log(heading.textContent)
console.log(text[0].textContent)

Personally, I would suggest using querySelector and querySelectorAll instead.

1 Like

Absolutely. I felt like with the RWD course the explanations and the instructions for the practice were very straightforward. But with the JS course, I sometimes have trouble with the explanations, and then the exercises will ask you to complete an operation that is different from the examples already given. Iā€™m like, hold on! I donā€™t even have a baseline here! :laughing:
I find I have to watch the FCC youtube or ā€˜get a hintā€™ for about a quarter of the modules. And itā€™s fine, I guess, because I can look at the code and figure out whatā€™s happening more or less, and Iā€™ll rewrite the code from scratch for practice. But I donā€™t knowā€¦ Iā€™m going to have to go over all of these concepts multiple times I think.
do you think youā€™ll complete the JS certification? Itā€™s going to take me a while, but Iā€™m hoping to get through it. Good luck to you as well. I really recommend Scrimba for practice with building. The JS intro is a free course over there, but I am thinking about getting a membership to access other courses.

If you find yourself heavily using the Hints, especially in the Basic Algorithm Scripting and Intermediate Algorithm Scripting sections, thatā€™s an indication that you probably should be asking more questions. Looking up and understanding someone elseā€™s solution is a very different skill than writing your own solution. The projects donā€™t have posted solutions.

Iā€™m not even to those sections yet. I just finished Basic JavaScript. Youā€™re right, I probably should be asking more questions. I just have so many! :sweat_smile:
I actually started going back through all of the modules from the beginning, to test my understanding and solidify knowledge.

Itā€™s totally ok to have lots of questions. JS (or any other full programming language) is tricky stuff!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.