Learn CSS Colors by Building a Set of Colored Markers - Step 1

Tell us what’s happening:
Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong here? It says my html element needs a closing tag even though it is there or how else do I close it?

Your code so far

<!-- User Editable Region -->

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="eng">

<!-- User Editable Region -->

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/113.0

Challenge: Learn CSS Colors by Building a Set of Colored Markers - Step 1

Link to the challenge:

Your lang attribute does not match what the challenge is asking for. I would double check that, and see what the lang needs to be

I dont see a closing html tag in your code. A closing tag looks like </> with the element name coming after the slash

I’ve tried all variation I can think of but none of them work. when I do this : ‘ lang=“eng”’ the values inside the element get greyed out. When I do this ‘<html lang=“eng”’ the html in the closing tag becomes red and the code doesn’t pass still, the reason I didn’t put a closing tag before is because I thought html elements are self-closing. Here is what the challenge says; As you’ve seen in the previous projects, webpages should start with a DOCTYPE html declaration, followed by an html element.

Add a DOCTYPE html declaration at the top of the document, and an html element after that. Give the html element a lang attribute with en as its value.

You might have messed up the lang=“eng” part, and you also forgot the closing tag, hope this explanation helps.

I’ve tried all of these none of them work

Mod edit: removed solution

I have removed the solution from your post

It is great that you solved the challenge, but instead of posting your full working solution, it is best to stay focused on answering the original poster’s question(s) and help guide them with hints and suggestions to solve their own issues with the challenge.

We are trying to cut back on the number of spoiler solutions found on the forum and instead focus on helping other campers with their questions and definitely not posting full working solutions.

1 Like

Hey, I understand your confusion! :slight_smile:

Think of this as two separate walls labeled html.

First wall contains language info. (Check your spelling on the language)

Second wall closes.

Two separate walls side by side.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hello!
It appears there is a bit of misunderstanding with the instructions for this step.
At one point, the solution was almost there. However, the closing html element was being inserted within the opening html element, instead of two separate opening and closing elements.
Think of it as one html element needs the final > before starting the closing element.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.