Learn String Manipulation by Building a Cipher - Step 17

Tell us what’s happening: Unable to see my error, as have done as per the instructions.

Your code so far

# User Editable Region

text = 'Hello World'
shift = 3
alphabet = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
index = alphabet.find(text[0])
print(index)
print(alphabet.find(text[0].lower()))

# User Editable Region

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/122.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge Information:

Learn String Manipulation by Building a Cipher - Step 17

Hello there,
You have to remove the last print() call.
And, You should update your alphabet.find(text[0]) call to use text[0].lower() as the argument.

Hi @ajiten and welcome to fCC forum.
Below should help you achieve your goal.

variable – Are used to store values. e.g:

word = 'Education'

Finds the 1st item of (what is stored in) word.
Once found, store it in word_one.

word_one = word[0]

Next code will find and make the 1st item a lower case (if not already). Then, store it in word_firstlower.

word_firstlower = word[0].lower() 

Take the above letter and find its the position in the alphabet

alphabet = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
word_firstlower = alphabet.find(word[0].lower())

To the 1st letter of word, and then print its position in alphabet we only have to print the variable word_firstlower as we have done work previously and already store the result here.

print(word_firstlower)

Hence, no need to repeat the code to find it like it’s done in the last line of the task 17.

Hope you find this helpful.
:+1: Happy coding

1 Like

Hello @OpeRichards , Thanks for your recommendation!
Why i need close bracket here!

Apologies, just realised it ws you I tagged and not the person who asked for help.
Also, this closing parenthesis is not required.

No no problem i have also learnt something.

I fail to see what am missing, as am already doing the same .

print(alphabet.find(text[0].lower()))

The previous line concerning the printing of ‘index’ is a hangover of the earlier steps, and has to be done anyway, i.e. am forced to continue with the printing of it.
If I remove the index variable, then am prompted to print the same.

Remove the last print line

Screenshot 2024-03-23 095755

Edit the line underlined in green

Thanks, it worked. I should have been more logical about the expectations of the step’s problem.
—solution removed —

1 Like

It is great that you solved the challenge, but instead of posting your full working solution, it is best to stay focused on answering the original poster’s question(s) and help guide them with hints and suggestions to solve their own issues with the challenge.

We are trying to cut back on the number of spoiler solutions found on the forum and instead focus on helping other campers with their questions and definitely not posting full working solutions.