Learning linux from beginning

please someone tell me is there any online free resources available where i can learn Linux from beginning to advance level?

2 Likes

https://linuxjourney.com/

8 Likes

Best way to learn linux is to use it daily. Try it out in a virtualbox, keep tinkering with it daily and you’ll learn all the basic things in no time

5 Likes

Install VirtualBox then choose between Ubuntu or Mint, also try to use the command line as much as you can. After you reach an intermediate level you may want to move to and learn Debian.

This YouTube Channel is very good especially for beginners, he talks and teaches mainly Ubuntu and also Mint, you will learn a lot: https://www.youtube.com/user/BadEditPro/videos

I wish I had time to tinker and learn Linux to an intermediate-advanced level.

4 Likes

The answers already provided give some good resources for beginning with Linux in a desktop environment.

If you are interested in command line wizardry I’d recommend the following book (available as a free PDF): The Linux Command Line by William Shotts. The book’s intention is to guide you from beginner to power user.

A couple additional points:

• Visit the websites for Ubuntu and Linux Mint and look at the various flavors available. Within these distributions there are different choices for desktop environment (this is what your OS will look like). Check out screenshots or watch videos on You Tube and pick one that looks appealing.

• Start using it. You could spend all eternity checking out different distributions. Most likely you will switch at some point once you begin to learn what you like and don’t like about a distribution. For now just start using one and get used to a Linux environment. As already recommended, Virtualbox is a great place to start.

• Hint: practice reading official documentation. While blogs or user tutorials can sometimes be helpful, get in the habit of reading the documentation provided by the developers (ie. read Ubuntu’s wiki not Johnny’s Ubuntu blog for how to set up a firewall). This can take some practice (and patience), but if you want to reach an advanced level you must do this.

• Finally, learn how to ask questions the smart way. You are going to end up at this page some day anyway…

5 Likes

Is manjaro Cinnamon good for new Linux user?

If you like Cinnamon I would stick with Mint because they are the developers of the Cinnamon DE. So you are going to get much better support from them and from the community as well, apart from stability.

1 Like

In addition to the point made by @fbclh, Cinnamon is not one of the officially supported Manjaro desktop environments. In all likely hood that would not be a problem, but in the early days it would probably be best to stick with an officially supported desktop environment.

I use Manjaro Xfce and see a couple options:

1. You go with @fbclh’s advice for very obvious reasons. Mint is well known as a good distribution for a beginner. There is documentation from Ubuntu, friendly community forums, and a solid, worry-free operating system.

2. Manjaro has incredible documentation via the Arch wiki and its own more user-friendly wiki. It also has very helpful forums. The major difference is that Manjaro is a rolling-release distro. This can offer the latest software (updates) but it can also require a little more manual system maintenance. Playing the devil’s advocate, I’d say Manjaro is usable enough for a beginner who is willing to invest some time and energy into maintaining their system.

Bottom line: Try them both out in Virtualbox for a couple months. Check out their forums, wikis and see what looks easier to you for support and troubleshooting.

2 Likes

The best way to learn Linux is to install it on your computer and keep using it. Meet up with some advanced Linux user that can show you a trick or two can help too.

1 Like

You have Linux Foundation Course on edX:

https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:LinuxFoundationX+LFS101x+3T2018/course/

Also, my vote goes to - Ubuntu.

3 Likes

Good advice. @Ankit006 depending on where you live you might be able to find a local Linux User Group.

1 Like

hello
linux mint is perfect for the beginners …

1 Like

@Ankit006 @stephane76
Yes. Linux Mint is very easy to use. It installs fast. Many printers and devices are detected automatically. I know young kids that have no problem using it at all. Linux Mint is too easy.
If you like a challenge you actually might want want to try a not-so-easy distrobution like Arch or Gentoo or Slackware :grimacing: :dizzy_face: That way you will learn faster.

1 Like

Well , I want to use linux as my primary OS. But one thing that bound me to keep using windows is my steam games

I learned Linux by using it every day. I was fortunate enough to be able to risk a laptop with a dual boot. After spending a weekend getting Ubuntu working on my laptop with a duel boot with windows 7, I started trying to use it every day all day.

You can read about using Linux/learn about X Y and Z on Linux, but you won’t learn anything until your force to use it for X Y and Z. Honestly, if your serious about learning it, not doing a duel boot might be the better way to go, but only do this if you have a backup system to help you in-case you screw up, need help, or just need to create new boot disks.

Now I’d like to go into a few topics, just so your familiar with what your picking when picking a Linux distribution.

• There’s the distribution, and then there is the desktop manager. When picking a distribution, like Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Gentoo, etc. You usually get a choice in the desktop environment or window manager, or desktop manager. You technically could pick no desktop manager, and get a distribution with no GUI besides a terminal. I don’t recommend doing this for your first time going thru Linux. There is to much to learn, figuring out how to get a desktop running shouldn’t be priority one.
  • Pick a distro that provides a bootable usb/cd image and get this working as a “boot-disk” before trying to install anything. Most distros like, Ubuntu provide images that allow you to “try out” your desktop during installs before installing always do this to verify stuff like network card, mice, keyboards, sound work!!!. The last thing you want is to install an OS and not have the internet work.
  • Stick with the main stream distros. Distributions like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Manjaro all provide you with straight forward installations, good UI, common software, and allow you to get up and running fast. Distros like Arch Linux could take hours to days to just get going if your just starting out.
  • Don’t be afraid of the BIOS. Odds are you might have to turn on/off some things in your bios to get a boot USB working, or even to boot from a USB. For the most part BIOS don’t break, and don’t allow you to ruin your HD.
  • Still, backup critical stuff. Something as simple as clicking the wrong buttons when formatting your HD could delete everything in your HD. So if you have some critical stuff on your windows drive, best to back it up into the cloud (drop-box, google drive) or an external HD.
  • Don’t be afraid of the terminal when using linux. Regardless of which distro you use, you should get familair with the terminal. It can do everything, anywhere, at anytime. It can get you out of trouble, and into trouble. It’s the one thing you should get out of using linux. The GUI’s of most distros are pretty good at most common tasks, but stuff like getting all the open source software, updating your machine, and doing day to day tasks should be done in a terminal

Now on the topic of what distro to pick I say pick one of the following:

1. Ubuntu - tried and true beginner distro, tons of community support help out there from all the beginners that pick this distro. Lots of packages, since Ubuntu was built off Debian. If a package is available for Linux its probably provided thru apt-get (or apt for newer version)
    The dis-advantage of this distro is updates from versions are always an interesting time as it the case for most non-rolling release distros.
    The Desktop environment is now gnome, which is arguable the most popular desktop manager, as such the support is great, the features are great, and its popularity only means better support. Alternatives could be xfce (think of it as the less flashier option) and KDE (similar to GNOME)
  2. Linux Mint - very similar to Ubuntu, but uses a different desktop manager (cinnamon) which has more of a “Windows XP” flare. Might be easier to get used to UI wise when starting out. Same dis-advantage as Ubuntu, no rolling releases.
  3. Manjaro - unlike the previous two suggestions, this is an Arch based distro, as such it is a rolling release, and a different package manager/repo. (pacman) I personally like rolling releases, since it requires you todo basically nothing to update most of the time, but requires you to handle “fires” in-case things were updated wrongly, and deal with bugs with newer releases. Unlike normal Arch, you get everything setup, so you can still get going fast. Arch repos are probably the most extensive when including community packages, so there is basically nothing you can’t just download from the repos.

I only recommend the ones above because I’ve used each of them extensively when learning Linux. I don’t want to recommend something I haven’t used, and I can say after trying a handful of other distros, I had the best experience with those three above. (I currently still use Manjaro)

Finally, you mentioned you don’t want to lose your Steam games, and I say you should focus on duel booting, just so you can get a feel for how you use Linux, but honestly you wont learn it if you don’t use it often.

Good luck! :smile:

6 Likes

My 2 cence: I started using Linux lite (very easy to use out of the box) about a year ago when I needed a laptop but couldn’t afford a new one. I took an old laptop which had a broken hard drive, replaced it with a new SSD and didn’t look back.

This is the method I recommend. No dual boot and you get to keep your Windows games. I learned some basic terminal commands from online tutorials and learned new things as I needed them.

You’ll find getting things like nodejs, npm, and other back end languages more convenient to set up on Linux I think, once you’re comfortable with the commands line. You’ll also have fun setting up servers for development and other Linux adminy tasks.

One important thing to keep in mind if you choose this method is to make sure the machine you convert has 64 bit architecture as the majority of distributions are dropping 32 bit support over the coming g years.

1 Like

Caveat: I don’t play games.

Manjaro seems to have a good reputation for gaming on Linux and comes installed with Steam. I’m assuming not all of the games on Steam are available for Linux systems, but the Manjaro forums look helpful for figuring out how to make things work.

If it were me, I’d dual-boot Windows just for games and use Linux full-time for everything else. All the major distros should provide instructions for how to set up a dual boot installation, but I know that Manjaro’s User Guide is very clear (with pictures and everything :grin:) about how to set up a dual boot with an existing Windows installation.

Have you tried out a “Live” or Virtualbox installation yet?

1 Like

Yes I tried virtualbox. But experience is not good. It feel laggy. I think I am gonna install manjaro xfce as dual boot

@Ankit006 you can always get an old laptop (find the cheapest one you can get that actually turns on) and install Linux on it. I had a old dead Windows laptop destined for the junk yard from my friend many years ago, installed Linux on it and it work perfectly! even the wifi!! It was like having a new computer with the new operating system installed. I used it for more than 5 years!
In the back of my mind I considered buying a Mac Book. I did a price comparison Mac Book $1299 vs free Linux laptop. I saved so much money $$$$.

And check this out, the laptop had 512MB of physical ram and with the full Linux desktop (XFCE) it was only using 128MB of ram. The laptop was manufactured was when the ram requirement was less than it is today.

2 Likes

Did you configure the settings to optimize the virtual machine?

• The VM will need sufficient RAM (Settings > System > Motherboard)
  • Add more CPU Processors if available (Settings > System > Processor)
  • Enable 3D acceleration (Settings > Display)
  • Max out the Video Memory (Settings > Display)

Just be sure to back up your Windows partition/drive! :grinning: