Lost almost all my motivation for programming, after programming for 2 years

Hello,

I was programming for around 2 years more or less with a few months breaks every 6-7 months and it wasn’t hardcore. I’m Java programmer and minecraft plugin developer.
I was pretty much doing only that for the last 2 years and now suddenly around 3-4 weeks ago I started losing motivation for programming, I would get it for a few minutes and as soon as I started programming I would lose it, I would get motivation for maybe a few hours if I find I can do something really great, but rarely.

I was researching it and I found out that a lot of programmers have gone through it but the methods to fix it aren’t really available to me because of couple of reasons.

Here are my problems:

1. Right now its winter and I can’t really go on a vacation and it isn’t an option, the break which includs lying on sofa besides the computer and watching videos on phone isn’t really a break.
  2. I’ve signed up for competition in programming so I can’t really afford any longer breaks.
  3. Even money doesn’t motivate me a bit (it never did, however, lets be realistic, money would motivate anyone at least a bit even if it isn’t his true motivation and never was money as is case with myself) and it never should be anyones true motivation.
  4. When I’m doing either paid projects or projects for myself I have a feeling like someone is forcing, maybe a bittt less with paid.
  5. When I think about what I could do with it, it gives me a bit of motivation but I lose it almost immediately as soon as I start to code.
  6. Before I would be happy when I got something to work and would sit for hours solving some problem
  7. I’m somewhat difficult personality.

If anyone has any other option that could solve this and can return my motivation within a week, please let me know.

1 Like

It seems burnout, maybe you can benefit from this article?

1 Like

Yea, I know it is a burnout, because as I said I was researching it.

1 Like

sorry, you never mentioned it

1 Like

Oh, sorry. I removed that line.

1 Like

maybe you can still take a look at that article

1 Like

I took a look at it now. The only thing that really is my problem and sometimes I hate it, is having to lookup how I called some method or in what order arguments need to be. I use Intellij Ultimate, so what I do for config files is create a pop up screen and put it on the second monitor and that solves it, for config files anyway. From this article I mean.

1 Like

do you have something else you enjoy to do? an hobby totally unrelated to programming?

Well, not really. I never had any hobby except programming.

Do you think learning on example web development or Android App development might help, because I don’t know anything about it, I only made a reallyy simple things with it?

it’s still programming, if you can find something different it’s better

programming has helped me in my darkest periods studying chemistry. Or music (learning an instrument), that has also helped.

2 Likes

well, i don’t really like anything else

1 Like

i mean, there are other methods, right?

1 Like

Right now, I will try a few day break from programming I even removed Intellij from hotbar and I’m gonna see what I can do with programming, that is motivating me a bit.

1 Like

please, for your health, find an
other interest. It could be geocaching, postcrossing, cross stitching…

1 Like

I mean I wasn’t programming during the summer and came from that break a 2 months ago. However I was at my PC.

please consider counseling, burnout and being in a bad place mentally present similarly

1 Like

alright, i will try a few methods, i will see what happens after a few days of a break. thank you for your help.

1 Like

When You Feel Like Quitting Remember Why You Started

2 Likes

Hi OptimusePrime, Reading this is very sad. If you said, " I never had any hobby except programming." this means you like programming. Some times is not what you are doing but something on the side. i.e. have you hade any worries? Other personal issues or environmental issues (some times one friend has issues, or your country is being hit by Covid). Any ways, what ever is happening, relax, pause. Life is wonderful, just grab your reason to get back to what you once enjoy.