Lost hours of progress

Hello,

I was working on the Survey Form project in the Responsive Web Design section and, out of nowhere, the page refreshed. Even though I had been saving my code regularly, all the CSS I had written was wiped and the project was reset back to how it was several hours previously. Does anyone know if it’s possible for the progress I had made to be restored? I’m not super keen on doing it all again and probably won’t continue on if that is the case.

Hi @Zarozax , I had this happen to me as well and I found the solution so as to avoid this going forward is to click the Run the Tests button and this will instantly save your code you have so far.
Basically I now view this button as the save button as well when working on the freeCodeCamp projects.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Hal_Jordan

1 Like

I think if your browser cleared it, it might be gone.

Here’s the standard response that lists the ways fCC stores progress. This issue relates to the 2nd method below.

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a community of millions of people, FCC does not store every solution to every challenge in its database. When you complete a challenge, there is a modal that gives you the option to download your solution. This gives you the option to save a copy of any solution that you may want to reference later. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then your local storage has been cleared or something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

1 Like

I have to add a thing to this, project code in the multifile editor (in responsive web design course) is saved to the server. If the page reload and it appears not the newest saved code but older code, it can be that the older code is cached. Just hard reload the page, and/or clean cache.

1 Like

Appreciate the answers from everyone - no dice on a hard refresh. Guess I’ve got to just live and learn!

1 Like

sorry about that! I hope it gives you a chance to do something better perhaps and have more fun with it maybe.

2 Likes

Look at it as an opportunity to solidify the points even further as you input the code again.
In programming there really is no mistakes, just gained knowledge going forward.

Fyi:
I also like to code my project in vs code and run it live on another window so I can see my projects current live state. I back it up with git and I then copy and paste the code into the freeCodeCamp project lesson and click the Run the Tests button.
By doing this, my code is backed up in 3 places.
If you need assistance in setting up a text editor like vs code, just let me know and I would be happy to help.

Thanks,
Hal_Jordan

2 Likes