Low Cost Boot Camp Idea - Curriculum based on FCC

Hey campers, I’m considering starting a boot camp based on Free Code Camp’s curriculum for my local area. My goal is to provide a boot camp experience for a fraction of the traditional cost while providing the tools and advantages that boot camps provide, such as instruction, job search, resume help, among many other benefits.

If you push through all of the curriculum on Free Code Camp, your odds of getting an entry level programming job truly sky rocket. However, the problem still remains that most people fail to finish their curriculum due to a lack of structure, motivation, help, etc… It’s like trying to take an online college math class. It’s hard and you need someone you can speak to in person for help. However, most people can’t afford a $12k to $20k bootcamp to push them through. And most (not nearly all though!) people give up when trying to do it on their own at home.

That’s where my idea comes in, to bridge the gap between an extremely expensive programming bootcamp, and a free online self driven course.

In this new bootcamp model, you’re coding next to many other individuals going through the same self-paced Freecodecamp course. You’re assigned to other people in the class to pair program with on projects. There would be professional developers there to help you along the way. You go at your own speed and take as long, or as little as you need to finish. Some of the benefits of this bootcamp format would be:

• At $1,000 - 1,200/mo you’re only paying a fraction of the cost.
  • 5:1 Student-teacher ratio.
  • Project grades and discussion on possible improvements.
  • Supplemental training.
  • Daily, optional programming lectures given by professional developers.
  • Assignment of a work buddy.
  • Extremely well developed and proven curriculum in Freecodecamp.com.
  • Help from fellow students and the opportunity to help others (you learn when you teach).
  • Pair program in person.
  • Build professional connections as you learn.
  • Resume building help.
  • Go through the course faster to lower expenses, or take longer if you need to.
  • You don’t have to worry about falling behind as if you would in a traditional bootcamp.
  • Focus. You’re there to learn how to code. It’s hard to stay focused at home!
  • Speed. Get through the course much faster than you otherwise would on your own.
  • Increase chances of getting a job through local hiring partners.

This would be my second business in the educational/training department. I’m very passionate about my idea in starting a bootcamp as described above, but I’d like to know if you think this would be an intriguing way to learn to become a web developer.

Imagine yourself in a room with 30 other beginner programmers going through the same course as you, and 6 professional developers dedicated to answering questions, helping push you along, making a programmer out of you.

So my question is:

Do you think that this would be a good value for $1,000 - $1,200 a month?

I did some number crunching, and charging anything less would probably not be sustainable with the expenses of running a boot camp like the office lease, mentors, furniture, etc.

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks,
Allen

I wouldn’t have thought that using the FCC curriculum for financial gain would be in the spirit of the FCC project.

The idea of a bootcamp type of setup to help campers is a great idea, but not for profit…

5 Likes

Hi Bouncey, thanks for the reply and your insight. At first that was my thought, that it is against the spirit of FCC, but then I learned that Quincy actually encourages bootcamps to use its curriculum and they are planning a Teacher mode, as well.

Here is an article referring to what I’m talking about: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/use-free-code-camp-your-bootcamps-prep-work-quincy-larson

I think there would be a number of individuals that this type of learning format can help and change the lives for the better. The FCC curriculum would be one (very) important aspect of the bootcamp, but there would also be so much more ingrained as well.

Allen

I wouldn’t personally pay that much for what’s on offer, but just for the sake of more complete information:

How many hours of in-person contact time are you planning for the $1k/mo?

What level of qualification/experience would be the minimum you’d allow for the instructors?

Do you have contacts in the industry that you could leverage to aid with job placement?

Do you have any experience placing students from you previous venture into paid employment?

There is so much paid stuff on the internet, and frankly, what’s making FCC standing out from the crowd is that it’s community driven, and a really strong one.

What I would like to see is small groups getting together as in a mentorship-like reunions. Mentors would be paid via suggested contributions, but that would be nowhere nearly as much as what you described.

As far as I know, there’s nothing like that in my city, only high costing 1 or 2 days courses where you really feel like they’re squeezing money out of your pockets…

5 Likes

Charging any amount for FREE Code Camp’s curriculum seems to run counter to the philosophy. I suppose If you wanted to run a bootcamp with instructors and a physical space, I could see charging just enough to defray the cost.That being said, as long as you abide by the CC Attribution Share Alike terms, you can make commercial use of the material.

3 Likes
  1. Where are you going to find developer instructors to teach for $60k per year ($1k/student * 30 students / 6 instructors * 12 months) when they could be making much more working in the field? This number does not allot any money for building rent, utilities, equipment, other costs, etc.

2. Why would people pay for FREE Code Camp when they can do it for free?

3. The limiting factors to bootcamp attendance are both COST and TIME. Sure, the above approach reduces cost/month, but doesn’t address that a lot of people can’t afford the TIME a bootcamp takes. A lot of people can’t afford to not work a job for 12 weeks and attend class full time. Your idea bullet points, glaze over that point entirely.

• A fraction of the cost, IF you can work on it full time and finish the whole thing in < 12 months ($1k/month * 12 months = $12k your low end of the scale for bootcamp cost)

• Project grades and discussion on improvements are available now for free

• Supplemental training is available now, for free

• Programming lectures are available online now, for free

• Pair programming partners are available at any time in FCC chat rooms

• Getting help and helping other is available now, for free

• Pair programming in person is easily doable in FCC campsites

• Building professional connections is doable now, for free with campsites, Meetups, conferences, etc.

• Go through the course faster IF you have the TIME to work on it full time, otherwise you might end up spending more than an actual bootcamp costs.

• Don’t worry about falling behind except that the end of the month is coming up and that’s another $1k ding to your bank account if you don’t finish.

• Hard to focus at home, but most people don’t have the TIME to attend class full time.

• Get through the course faster than on your own IF you have the TIME to attend class full time.

Your idea charges money for things that are and ought to be free and also doesn’t address one of the HUGE limiting factors: Lack of time/ability to not work for 12-24 weeks at a time.

2 Likes

Even though Free Code Camp was built as a non-profit with a promise to never charge charge users for its content, it’s ciriculum isn’t necessarily less effective than a boot camp’s.

Quincy said in a JavaScript Jabber podcast that some peoples’ learning styles are best suited to the kind of experience a traditional school or boot camp has to offer. The statistics that show the probability of a new FCC member seeing through to completion of these lessons says it all – more users “drop out” in the first few weeks than stick with it. I’m sure that a boot camp has a much higher ratio of people that enroll to people that graduate.

I can’t believe I am reading this post… The premise of free code camp is - FREE of Cost…

Do you realize how your idea sounds on this FREE platform… Do you know the vision that Quincy Larson hand the individuals who work endlessly on this FREE content??? Have you listened to any of his podcasts???

1 Like

I don’t think I would pay $1000 a month, but I would pay a smaller amount for access to mentoring form senior developers, code reviews, organized group learning.

I will be doing something similar through a local group, but it’s cheaper ($500 for 3 months). Most of the learning is self-directed, but with some access to mentors and training seminars. I think it’s a good balance. I personally wouldn’t need a full-time teacher, but having a bit of structured and time every week where I can ask for help is a great help.
It also helps that the program I am doing is part time (we need to count around 20 hours a week), so I am able to work part time while doing it.

Still, $1000 a month is less than what most bootcamps charge. Just make sure you can really cover your costs with that… using a free curriculum might not reduce your costs by that much. Paying for teachers will probably be your biggest expense.

EDIT: Oops. I just noticed this is an older thread.

This sounds just like every other programming bootcamp to be honest. Also, for the price and student/teacher ratio you mentioned I think it would be hard to find professional programmers willing to do this as they are already in high demand. Don’t forget you have to factor in overhead costs (renting a space, organizing the payroll, etc.)

I personally vote for keep FCC 100% free.

1 Like

Podcast??? what is the name of it, I want to check it out!

Check out this cool episode: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/javascript-jabber/id496893300?mt=2&i=365348797

CodeNewbie by CodeNewbie https://itun.es/us/4WIY2.c

Is there an Android alternative???

Nevermind, I found them thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Hello Allen,
I think this is a great idea for a beginner like me, I hope everything works out fine, so I can be part of it. All the best, Good Luck :slight_smile: