Lowest Common Multiple

I have managed to get passed most of the intermediate challenges but these last 3 maths-based ones I have struggled.

Is there anything I can research to help me understand what I’m doing without looking directly at the solution. So far I have sorted the array and got the range from greatest to smallest. My next plan was to loop through the sorted array and use a nested loop to do something like if (i % j === 0) if ( j < smallestMultiple) smallestMultiple = j;

Thanks, if i need to go back to earlier lessons and understand more of the basics to getting this I will do so, I felt the previous Primes challenge was a big jump from the challenges before that.

Your code so far

function smallestCommons(arr) {
 arr.sort((a,b) => a -b);
let max = Math.max(...arr);
let min = Math.min(...arr);
let count = min + 1; 
let numbers = arr.sort((a,b) => b-a)

}

console.log(smallestCommons([1, 5]))

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.198 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Smallest Common Multiple

Link to the challenge:

try googling algorithms to find smallest common multiples, you could find them on wikipedia or on maths focused places, then you just need to convert it to JavaScript - do not invent an already existing wheel :wink:

Thanks, i’ll try my best to research an algorithm then put it into code. I’ll keep this thread open to post my inevitable struggle! :smiley:

So after a good research of algorithms and quite a bit of guidance on Youtube, I have come up with this.

arr.sort((a,b) => a -b);
 let count = min + 1; 
 let result = numbers [0];

for (let i = 1; i < numbers.length; i++) {
    result = findLCM(result, numbers[i]);

}
 return result;

}

function findLCM(x, y) {
  var max; 
  max = (x > y) ? x:y;

while (true) {
if (max % x ===0 && max % y ===0) {
  return max;

}
max ++

}

}

I’m still not getting the right answer though, any ideas?

I’ve also just noticed I can delete some variables from this code that I was using for a previous attempt which I have now abandoned.

1 Like

what are you trying to do here?

use console.log statements to verify that the value of everything is what you expect

1 Like

I should of deleted the count variable, I dont think i need it anymore. The numbers array was to sort the code from greatest to smallest, Ive only just noticed that mistake that there is a gap between numbers and [0] I was intended to grab the first element of the array.

1 Like

yes, but that’s not the issue

you need to find the smallest common multiple between which numbers?

1 Like
  arr.sort((a,b) => a -b);
 let result = numbers[0];

}
 return result;

}

function findLCM(x, y) {
  var max; 
  max = (x > y) ? x:y;

while (true) {
if (max % x ===0 && max % y ===0) {
  return max;

}
max ++

}

}

The lowest common multiples of each number in the array, Is this not a correct approach if i compare two numbers in the array using the findLCM function?

1 Like

I see what you mean now there is now no range of numbers in the array and only [5,1]

1 Like

you can also reduce this all to 2-3 lines, and use the loop to go through the range

1 Like

Thanks @ilenia, that was tough! now solved.
What would be the best way to refactor the start of the code that you mention above? here is my solution

arr.sort((a,b) => a -b);
 let count = min +1;
 while (count < max) {
   arr.push(count)
   count++
 }
  console.log(numbers)
 let result = numbers[0];

}
 return result;

}

Does this get problem-solving get easier? the code makes complete sense to me and I understand every line. But i am really struggling with coming up with the logic myself to create a working solution and i was not making any progress trying to do it completely by myself.

1 Like

all of this… could you keep only min and max and adapt the loop to still work? that would make this so much more tidy…

1 Like

Does this seem more readable?

for (let i = Math.min(...arr) +1; i < Math.max(...arr); i++) {
     arr.push(i)
    arr.sort((a,b) => b -a)

console.log(arr)

}

Tried to combine the sort and push together, but says not a function. Also deleted the numbers array as it was not in the correct scope after refactoring.

arr.sort(...)

for (let i = arr[0]; i <= arr[i]...