Margin not working on nav bar

Hello my code has been acting very weirdly with trying to remove a margin from a nav bar. Here is what i am experiencing and what i want to achieve.

Below is my code relating to the navbar and the results i am getting

I want it so that the nav bar is exactly on the top left without affecting any of the other elements margins.

Please help I’ve been trying to solve this for days I’m really desperate thank you in advance :pray:.

I misunderstood. Did you mean something like giving the .navButtonList a position of absolute, and setting the top and left values to 0 to lock the element in the top-left corner?

Hey @vegancatter, I made a navigation menu for you try Learn Basic CSS by Building a Cafe Menu: Step 16 | freeCodeCamp.org

code for navigation

<nav>
  <ul>
    <li><a href="#">Home</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">About</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Services</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Contact</a></li>
  </ul>
</nav>

and for css

body {
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
  font-family: Arial, sans-serif;
}

nav {
  background-color: #333;
  color: #fff;
  padding: 10px;
}

ul {
  list-style-type: none;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
  display: flex;
}

li {
  margin-right: 15px;
}

a {
  text-decoration: none;
  color: #fff;
}
1 Like

Add a class to the nav opening tag . Like nav-position. Then in the nav position selector in css rule, add position absolute top 0 and left 0.
@vegancatter

i want the position to not be absolute, becuase later down the line im gonna make it a sticky nav bar.

dosent this code set the margins for all elements even like h1 button and images? becuase im trying to only affect only the nav bar.

dosent setting the position to absolute make it so the nav bar cant go off screen but i want it to do that. @hasanzaib1389

To troubleshoot the issue with the margin property not working in your navbar, consider the following:

1. Inspect Element: Use your browser’s developer tools to inspect the navbar element and check if there are any conflicting styles overriding the margin property.

2. Specificity: Ensure that the margin property you’ve set for the li elements in the navbar has sufficient specificity to override any default or conflicting styles. You might need to use more specific selectors or increase the specificity of existing ones.

3. CSS Cascade: Check if there are any other CSS rules that might be affecting the margin property. Sometimes, styles defined later in the CSS file or from external stylesheets can override earlier styles.

4. Box Model: Make sure that the margin property is not being overridden by padding, borders, or other box model properties on the li elements or their parent elements.

5. Browser Compatibility: Verify if the issue persists across different browsers. Sometimes, certain CSS properties behave differently in various browsers, so it’s essential to ensure cross-browser compatibility.

If you provide more specific details or the HTML markup related to your navbar, I can offer more targeted assistance.

hey would you provide you full code so we can provide you a correct solution.

please do not provide solutions to copy & paste

sorry for the late response i ended up deleting the code and just set the entire body margin to 0 and i am currently trying to make a sticky nav bar now.

sorry for the late response i ended up deleting the code and just set the entire body margin to 0 and i am currently trying to make a sticky nav bar now.

Hi @vegancatter
All the buttons except REVIEWS have i elements and Font-Awesome icons.

Maybe use the same coding for that button as well?

Happy coding

I couldn’t find icon for star.

Try nesting an asterisk in an i element.